Lesson and Unit Plans

Section 5: Lesson and Unit Plans

On this page you’ll find different styles of lesson plans for different grades and subjects within elementary school years. Throughout my teacher education, various instructors have shared their experience in creating lesson and unit plans, providing me and my colleagues with unique perspectives that show a high standard of planning. The plan templates have ranged from very basic to very complex. School advisors hosting teacher candidates, teachers on call, staff superiors, and even student families may rely on our lesson or unit plans, or simply wish to have a glance at them. The level of complexity added to a plan might be dependent on who might be reading it, and also depends on how effective it is for the person who creates it.

Examples of things included in a simple plan that should be considered in all plans are:

• Plan creator’s name
  • Intended grades, subjects, theme of unit or lesson
  • Required materials
  • Teacher actions and student actions
  • Approximate time allotted for sets of actions

Some of my plans use learning models taught at UBC’s faculty of education. Backwards design, universal design, resource mapping, differentiation, inclusivity, and Indigenous learning models all inspired what went into the plans you will find on this page. In the more complex templates, there is space to include all the aspects of education that BC maintains as integral to the teaching process.

Examples of things included in a thorough plan are:

• Connections to core competencies, big ideas, curricular competencies and content
  • Goals and rationale
  • Key questions
  • Connections to the First People’s Principles of Learning
  • Assessment strategies
  • Cross-curricular connections, adaptations, extensions
  • Resources used to create the plan
  • Resources for further expansion of the plan

Below are some of the plans I’ve created. Some are unfinished, I used templates for some but not others, and some of these lessons and units have not been used in classes, that is, not tested in the field. The thorough templates were obtained from Marie-France Berard.

• Unit plan blank templateGoogle Docs  Word  PDF
  • Thorough Lesson plan blank templateGoogle Docs  Word  PDF
  • Novel Study: The Phantom Tollbooth Unit Plan – Language arts unit for grades 3-5 – Google Docs  Word  PDF
  • “What is a Novel?” Lesson PlanGoogle Docs  Word  PDF
  • Introduction to Reading Stations Lesson PlanGoogle Docs  Word  PDF
  • Reading Stations Lesson PlanGoogle Docs  Word  PDF
  • Culture, Identity, and Indigenous Learning Unit Plan – Partial social studies unit for intermediate grades – Google Docs  Word  PDF
  • Identity Bracelets – Social studies lesson plan for any age – Google Docs  Word  PDF
  • Significance – Partial social studies lesson plan for intermediate grades – Google Docs  Word  PDF
  • Documenting Significance – Followup actions for social studies intermediate class – Google Docs  Word  PDF
  • Book Mystery Lesson Plan – Language Arts for grades 3-5 using the backwards design learning model – Google Docs  Word  PDF – Assessment Rubric – Google Docs  Word  PDF
  • “I am Not a Number” – Social studies resource mapping report for grade 3 assessing the resource and outlining possible activities – Google Docs  Word  PDF
  • Measurements by FNESC – Lesson evaluation of a math plan for grades k – 3 with a link to more lessons by FNESC – Google Docs  Word  PDF
  • Evolution and Snorpes and Snipes – PE lesson games for understanding rules – Google Docs  Word  PDF
  • Letter Writing – Language arts for intermediate grades – Google Docs  Word  PDF
  • Imagery Lesson Plan – Brief plan for language arts – Google Docs  Word  PDF – Presentation – Google Slides  Powerpoint  PDF
  • Read Aloud Lesson Plan – Grade 3 new vocabulary focus – Google Docs  Word  PDF

The next section contains the research packages I had a hand in creating alongside my peers in the TELL-3C cohort of 2019-2020.

Previous Section – Tech Tutorials

Next Section – Research Packages