Discussion #2: iPads in the workplace

Ok. I will admit it. I was one of the first iPad owners and waited eagerly for the updates as my friends made the journey home from Seattle. In a Starbucks in Langley (free wifi and coffee), the four of us opened our shiny new iPads as a crowd of admirers looked on.

And I will admit, too, that I have not been able to implement the iPad into my daily practices at school as much as I would like. The limitations of being able to project wirelessly effectively cut down a lot of the things I would have liked to have been able to do with it in the classroom. However, with the second generation iPad, it is much easier to do so.

As a tool, I think the iPad is great for engaging learners. But like any other tool, it has to be used properly. Does it replace a laptop or desktop computer, not for me.

However, that being said, I had a wonderful experience with one of my students in my English 9 class. We were working on creative writing and we were all in the computer lab. He sat down and pulled an iPad out of his backpack and merrily started typing his story. There was definite device envy from his classmates. In an amazing example of humanity (remember, grade 9’s), he offered to let his buddy use his iPad to try it out. He then logged into the computer and accessed his story from DropBox (woo hoo Cloud computing!). His buddy happily worked on his story on the iPad for the rest of the class. I was amazed. Given a new device or tool, all of sudden, engagement went up. It was neat to see.

Posted in: Week 09: iPad Apps