Sometimes we have to teach topics that a…

Sometimes we have to teach topics that are not so motivating for students. One of these topics in Social Studies is EconomICS. We have to study this field on grade 9. Considering that all of my students of grade 9 have a cell phone, I was thinking on asking them to create a story where they would have to represent the economic problem (lots of needs when resources are few) by using their cell phones as a tool. They could use the camera of their cell phones for taking photos, recording their voices or filming a story. I would ask them to work in groups. For building their stories, I would give them a rubric with the learning outcomes of the activity.

They would have to work collaboratively by using their cell phones as tools for this project. They can use various cell phones or just one cell phone of one of the members of the team. I would give them two hours of class to prepare their project and one week to present it in front of their peers.

The mobility and capability to connect to Internet of cell phones allow them to work collaboratively dismissing issues of time and space (maybe one student can have troubles for meeting with his/her classmate). As I mentioned this device is accessible for my students because all of them have one. It promotes autonomy as they will have to decide what story to tell and how to tell it.  I will base this project on Social Constructivism as I expect my students to engage with content by build something new and working collaboratively towards this goal.

One of he challenges I might face is that students get easily distracted by other, more fun apps, that today’s cell phones have. So I would not be entirely sure that the time I give in class will be used for making their story, even if I try scaffolding, I cannot be sure of what 45 students are doing at the same time in this kinds of projects (maybe they will ask me if they can go outside the classroom, to the school yard, to take photos and/or videos). Other issue to consider is their safety. How can I be sure what kinds of photos or videos are they taking? So I think I should have to add in the rubric the behaviors that would not be accepted.

This kind of project not also can be done by using cell phones. Students can use other devices (their own cameras, laptops and Internet connection) but the individual, access and mobile dimension of cell phones is very useful for engaging them with the project and the content.

Posted in: Week 11: Mobiles