Nice to meet you…

Good evening new friends!   I am Jen and live in a lovely, quaint little village called Ladner.   It is located 30 minutes outside of Vancouver.

My journey to MET is likely much different than many of yours.   Last September I began my Masters in Language and Literacy in a Surrey Cohort.  I took EDUC 500 (the same as ETEC 500) and several other required classes for my program.   Over the course of the year as I delved into research and theory about literacy, I became very interested in new literacies and how our definition of literacy needs (and has) changed.   I learned about terms called Technology 1.0 and 2.0, which were new to me.   It was all so exciting that I decided to take a summer elective course, titled Recurring Questions of Technology.  Here I confirmed what I had been feeling for awhile; I needed to switch my Master’s focus.

I do not consider myself digitally savvy.   In fact, in July 2011 I couldn’t even text!  Knowing that I was beginning my Master’s I purchased a Macbook and an iPhone and taught myself everything I know.   One thing led to another and soon I was captivated by technology.  Dropbox, Pinterest, Facebook (yes, I had never been a member), Twitter, Evernote, and blogging became a regular part of my life and I found myself wishing I had more time to learn, create, explore and share.

When I am not online, I am a wife and mother to two children, ages 7 & 9.   I love seeing the world through their eyes and they challenge me to stay present.   This week I also began a new position as an Adjunct Teaching Professor (Faculty Advisor) in the Faculty of Education at UBC.  I have been an Elementary teacher in Richmond for the past 14 years.  I look forward to supervising 18 teacher candidates this year and teaching a couple of courses too.  As if this wasn’t enough, I also teach Grades 3/4 on Fridays each week at Errington Elementary.  I envision many late nights in my future!

So I leave you with the image of me below ~ wearing the funny star hat.   It is symbolic of a quote a like to live by

“Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss it you will land among the stars!”

Posted in: Week 01: Introductions