WEEK 2 – MOVEMENT JOURNAL

In PE this week we learned about the origins of Physical Education classes in Canada. I had never really thought about “the point” of PE, and how it has changed over time. I was especially interested to learn that PE classes originally consisted of military drills and were designed to create obedient children. Looking back on my own experience as a child in PE classes, I realize that there has been a large shift even in the last 10/15 years in the curriculum. Most of my PE classes as a child we based on sports like softball, floor hockey, etc. We also did lots of testing, like seeing how many laps we could run or push-ups we could do within a minute, and we played plenty of “shame games” like dodgeball. I actually enjoyed most of these activities as a child, although in hindsight I realize why they can be harmful to children, especially kids who are less athletically inclined. Learning about the new curriculum and it’s focus on encouraging a healthy lifestyle makes me much more excited to teach PE. I think it’s so important that there are also units in nutrition and mental health. Not everyone is destined to be a sports superstar—but everyone (even children!) can have an interest in their own mental and physical well-being. Teaching a more holistic and inclusive version of Physical Education to this generation of Canadians will hopefully eventually lead to a much healthier Canada.

One thought on “WEEK 2 – MOVEMENT JOURNAL”

1. Zoe, I have to say that I love your last statement. I always struggled with the idea of not teaching children the importance of competition. My idea of a P.E class would include a lot of games and sports that would end with a clear winner. I always believed that students should be taught at a young age to realize that they will fail at times, that they won’t be the best at everything. However, your post made me realize that these children will have many opportunities to lean those lessons, as they grow older. Like you said we should be teaching them about being inclusive, so they will grow to enjoy being active. Thus leading to a healthier generation and examples for Canadians.