First Week of Classes – Group 1 ABC

Out of all of my classes that I have this semester, it was PE that I was most excited about. I know that I am not the best at anything, nor will I probably ever be, but I do love to have fun and my memories from PE are all positive ones (with the exception of one or two). I decided that no matter who was in my cohort that this class was going to be awesome even before the first class. Turns out I was right, and I think a lot of that had to do with the wonderful people in my cohort and their willingness to be vulnerable and taking a risk in front of everyone else (people who we are still getting to know no less!) and jump into the activities without a second thought.

I am really looking forward to the rest of this course. Who wouldn’t be with activities such as “Mission Impossible”? I am looking forward to trying new things and even making mistakes because, I am not good at everything and there are probably things that I am horrible at, and that is okay because nobody is perfect.

I was very surprised at some of the activities that are in the PE Hall of Shame. Many of the activities are obvious (ex. Red Rover, Student on Display, etc). However, there are a few that are on the list that I witnessed happen in the PE classes during my last practicum! I wonder if the PE teacher knows about the Hall of Shame?

3 thoughts on “First Week of Classes – Group 1 ABC”

1. Leandrea, thank you for writing such a great response to the readings! You are so positive and this is an interesting way to communicate as you and I haven’t talked a lot yet, but I everything you wrote in this post resonated with me.

I am looking forward to this course and am excited about PE as well. Most of my memories are fond, even if I wasn’t always the best but being somewhat sporty and competitive helped form my identity in highschool. The skills and basics I learned in PE let me join teams as adults and make new friends, learn leadership skills and time management skills as I juggled school, sports and all my other commitments. I am excited about this course because it is a challenging class that I didn’t give very much thought too until now. It is a very important part of education and I hope we all become the best PE teachers to be a part of the new way more active generation of kids in schools.

Your attitude is so positive and encouraging and that is something that will inspire me while I am teaching my kids. I agree that this class really does have a really good attitude that is very supportive.

2. Coming into this course, I really just wanted to challenge it lol. I have played sports my entire life so I simply believed myself to be physically literate. It quickly became apparent to me that there is more to physical literacy than being able to play a cornucopia of sports and be able to transfer some physical skills from one to the other. The ability to understand how and why my body is doing what it is doing is much more important than simple muscle memory, reflexes, and coordination. There was definitely a time when I considered being a physical education teacher; this is still something that I am considering on some level, however, now probably not as my primary subject of teaching. I enjoy being physical and learning different sports, techniques, and games, however, the prospect of teaching to elementary students and breaking down physical activity into its elemental parts doesn’t seem so appealing to me. I will probably just continue to coach rugby within the club and, hopefully, in a high school someday.