Movement Journal: Week 6 Elizabeth Greenwood

I loved outdoor education! It was so nice to have a change of environment, and Lexi, Katy, Brianna, and Jackie did a fantastic job of having interesting and engaging activities. In order to tie in the activities with the reading this week, I am reflecting on things I would keep in mind when planning alternate environment/outdoor activities.

• keep in mind time and location. I wouldn’t want to spend more time getting to a location than engaging in activities
  • the outdoors are inherently more active than a classroom, so activities that may not seem extremely active (like using natural materials to create a picture) can still be active when done outdoors (particularly if you incorporate walking to the location or other more active components to the lesson)
  • there are many local resources that you can use so you can limit the number of materials, etc. that you need to bring along
  • even if you haven’t planned specifically for an outdoor or alternative environment activity, you can take advantage of good weather or sheltered areas to teach “regular” lessons outside
  • being flexible outdoors can lead to wonderful teachable moments! At Katy’s station, we watched a spider catch and eat a fly. It prompted questions, discussion, and wonder in the participants.

I think a lot of teachers find outdoor and alternate environment education to be daunting because of  safety and organization. As the text highlighted, routines are elemental in a well-planned PE program, and I think that proper planning, and instruction (including well structured and practiced routines) can make alternate learning environments more manageable. Also, recognizing that the use of local areas and resources can be just as, or more, beneficial as a distant trip can relieve pressure and encourage more of this type of lesson!

One thought on “Movement Journal: Week 6 Elizabeth Greenwood”

1. I agree, Lexi, Katy, Brianna and Jackie did a great job of using outside space! They had a variety of different activities that would be great to use in an alternative environment.
    I understand your point about not wanting to spend more time getting to the location than engaging in the activity. However, you could use the travel time as part of your activity. For example, scavenger hunt to the location etc.
    This weeks lesson, opened my mind up to the idea of using the transition time from one subject to another, as a body break/ small P.E lesson. I like Steve’s idea of the kids jumping on the squares down the halls. Using transition time productively is a great way to keep the students engaged throughout the day.
    I like your point about many teacher finding alternate environment education to be daunting. I feel the same way! But as the readings discuses, planning for the year in advanced and incorporating it into routines, will make this task less intimidating over time.