Chris Phillips’ October 14th Reflection

This past week was probably my favorite, and I left class feeling refreshed, clear-headed, and ready for the extended period of sitting we’d endure in our next lecture. The time we spent outdoors, as well as our discussions, allowed me to gather my thoughts and help shape my inquiry question. In my question, I’d like to address the many benefits that an outdoor learning environment can have on students and their surrounding environments. After Steve took us into the forest and we discussed some of the implications of outdoor ed, I found myself on a tangent of thought regarding the beauty of such a small area, centered around this concrete beach. Similar to a diamond in the rough, the forest provided a small amount of happiness that lasted me throughout the rest of my seated-day, and I’m sure it can provide students the same.

Based on my experience educating outdoor ed, I’m able to say that students have left with a greater understanding and appreciation for their environment. These changes occur because of their newly established relationships with the back-country. Students learn to conduct themselves within it the same way they would in a friendship, and it forms a bond. Expanding on this thought, if we want future generations to preserve our forests, learn about biology, ecology, and environmental sustainability, then we need to introduce them to outdoor environments in order for them to build connections to such places.

Thanks for reading!

Chris

One thought on “Chris Phillips’ October 14th Reflection”

1. I have to completely agree with your post Chris. We take for granted what the environment does for us. Being able to just step away into the woods is a great way to help children reshape their perspectives as to why we value our environment and the health benefits of stepping away from a non-stop society. Even just stepping into the woods, my mind returned to a place of complete curiosity as to how the glistening webs were formed, what mysterious creatures cohabited here, and the impact that this environment has on each person who wanders through it. Children learn best through play, letting their curiosity and imagination wonder to new heights in a peaceful, down to earth environment.
    I had no idea we had such a beautiful enriching forest right on campus. Every day I am learning more and more about the resources we have for students to bring their education outdoors. In addition, having time to do reflections outdoors enables us to be closer rooted to nature, building everlasting bonds which connect us to every other human through the preservation of our environment.