Week 7 – Group A Reflection

Group A 

Week #7 Post 4
October 30, 2015
Guiding questions:
* What ideas are used to create a safer, inclusive and respectful environment?
Interesting that I am writing this post tonight. My first full day of practicum in the classroom and observing the entire day of activities. (The other three days were on field trips). The teacher is responsible for teaching PE, as the PE teacher of 20+ years retired and now the PE classes are the responsibility of the teacher. They were wrapping up their unit on soccer and today was final evaluation day to see what skills the students have mastered and continue to use. The class started with a “talk” about safety, followed by warm-up and alternating games of soccer with 4 team. Two teams played against each other for three minute intervals. During the course of the class, one student got hit in the face with the soccer ball, two students slipped, another took a blow to her stomach area. 

As discussed in our class, it is so important to go over safety with students and especially in a place like Mount Pleasant where the gym is very small and your only option is to sit on benches on the side lines. I almost got hit at one point. My point is, it is a great responsibility to take on with students and to teach them the importance of technique, i.e. in terms of soccer to stop the ball before kicking, not bunching up, passing, team work, etc. In our small groups I asked about earth quake this has crossed my mind as well! I am a guest at this school and I do not know the safety procedures should this happen. Safety has been on mind every since and the importance of monitoring and doing our part as the teacher to ensure students are safe. I am also thinking about my long practicum in January and the possible lesson plans that I will need to develop carry out.

One thought on “Week 7 – Group A Reflection”

1. Dawn, I agree with what you said that ‘‘safety has been on mind every since and the importance of monitoring and doing our part as the teacher to ensure students are safe’’. We as teachers needed to know it is important to create a safe environment for the students to have in the classroom. The teacher needs to talk about what are some safety rules for the students to know first, before let them start the activity or game in the class. For instance, if the grass field is wet, the teacher needs to mention to his or her students about it; such as telling them to ‘‘be safe’’ or ‘‘be careful’’ in that area. So the students will know what it needs to be aware during the activity. It is the teacher’s responsibility making sure all the students are in the safe zone area and no one will have badly injured. I think we are in the same boat! I’m not like 100% know about the safety procedures as well. And yes, it would be the best for us to know about the safety procedures in the P.E. class. So that I will be able to use it in my lesson and bring it out to my class.