COMM 101 – 16/10/2012 – In the Backstage of the Vintage Clothing Strategy

Of course I like being well dressed and I acknowledge the importance of appearance as a first step in every conversation or relationship. I’m not blaming fashion neither since I understand the human need for belonging and, after all, isn’t it natural (if not honorable) to copy the things we like including clothing styles? However, I’m not that kind of guy who would spend hundreds of dollars for a specific brand and you will never hear me encouraging the versatility of fashions changing from one day to another under the manipulative hands of greedy businesses. Considering fashion, I also have troubles understanding the whys and wherefores of the Vintage Clothing Strategy… How can one accept to pay more for “brand new” washed-out jeans with holes? Is this ethically viable?

Originally, it appears that vintage clothing only implied looking for nice fashionable 2nd/3rd/4th/…-hand original clothes. Ethically speaking, this sounds viable if not encouraged: it is more sustainable; clothes enjoy a second life and last longer; the polluting emissions initially linked to the production of the jeans are better compensated; etc. Socially speaking, it is also a valuable trend for it makes clothing cheaper for peoples in need or gives them an opportunity to make some money by selling their old pants to a charity store. (Next time you look for washed-out trousers, drive an extra-mile to the Salvation Army Thrift Store!)

However, besides the “interesting” fact that some of us pay more to buy clothes of lesser quality, this fashion sometimes comprehends more serious ethical issues. There are some tragic stories out-there! In fact, to make a pair of jeans look vintage and faded, these are often sandblasted. In some countries the working conditions are such that workers inhale lots of sand dust and contract silicosis, a deadly pulmonary disease. Change your consumption habits and buy your jeans from companies having complied with the requirements of safe sandblasting technologies such as Levi’s, H&M, Pepe Jeans and C&A. Stop buying Dolce & Gabbana.

Sources:
http://www.greencupboards.com/blog/2011/08/11/dolce-gabbana-sandblasting