COMM 296 – 26/03/2013 – My experience of “PUSH vs. PULL”

While learning; it is often more efficient to bring practice to theory. When these two elements are finally combined in harmony, one experiences a feeling of empowerment. 🙂 When we addressed in class the distinction between PUSH and PULL in promotional strategies; theory joined practice for me…  I’m now happy to share with you my experience of “PUSH vs. PULL”.

I have been a member of the French scout association Les Scouts et Guides de France since the age of 8 and I shall acknowledge the contribution of scouting in my childhood: I learned a lot and gained a lot of confidence. I have also tried to give back by becoming a scout leader and organizing nationally and internationally scout fora for young adults on the topics of Citizenship, Youth Participation to decision-making and Project Management. The 1st Inter-Regional Agora in April 2012 was one of them. It gathered in Switzerland during 5 days 43 participants from 26 countries.

Our target segment were motivated scouts aged 17 to 22 from anywhere in the world. When promoting the event to get applications we thought of different strategies. We knew that the international commissioners would have to be informed and sign the applications at the end but we also knew that the communication channels from the national boards to the scouts were usually inefficient. Furthermore, we could motivate scouts more easily than we could convince older adults who had never heard about Agoras.

We decided to implement a PUSH strategy by sending out all the information and the documents to the international commissioners. These e-mails could be considered as examples of direct marketing. At the mean time, we created demand by motivating the targeted scouts directly on facebook and with a promotional video shared online. By advertising directly to them, we hoped to make them express to their national board their will to participate. This second element illustrates our PULL strategy.

Our event was conceived for 45 participants. Our video was watched more than 3000 times. We received 55 applications and we accepted 43 of them.