I’ve quickly become a fan, and thus a fu…

I’ve quickly become a fan, and thus a future follower, of Educause’s  7 Things You Should Know About . . . “ Learning Technology series . These topic-specific, short briefs give the reader just the highlights – a quick read that provides you with enough information to understand the key ideas or concepts of the topic which can help you decide if the topic is worth a further investment of your research time.   

It becomes increasingly difficult, even for those of us who work very directly in the field of instructional technology, to stay abreast of all of the changes, all of the buzzwords, all of the up-and-coming advances in educational technology.  These Educause reports are easy ways to get a basic understanding of new developments; they are not intended to provide in depth analysis or explanation of the topic. For those in a position such as mine (Coordinator of Instructional Technology for a large K-12 school division), these summaries are a great way to quickly gain an understanding of current hot topics.  For venturers, these basic reports would be less useful unless they are simply trolling for basic information.

I have already added this site to my list of Favourites.

These seven questions seem to be the standard format for the several I looked at, all questions being addressed in a  brief, two page reports (1 piece of paper, double sided!):

1. What is it?
  2. How does it work?
  3. Who’s doing in?
  4. Why is it significant?
  5. What are the downsides?
  6. Where is it going?
  7. What are the implications for teaching and learning?

Posted in: Week 02: The Edtech Marketplace