The Pitches Patason’s_Elevator_Pitch.wm…

The Pitches

Patason’s_Elevator_Pitch.wmv http://youtu.be/y0h7UmugwjM
Patason’sVenture_pitch.mp4 http://youtu.be/xbwpeNLPC5E

Reflection
My idea for the product designed for this course began some years ago with the release of the ipad. It started when my colleague and good friend that sits next to me- a Macappresiendo complained about the new device that Steve Jobs was making and his dissatisfaction with it. That product was of course the ipad -and I told him I loved the concept even if he has issues with the product I think it would be a hit and the rest is history as the sayings goes. Over the years I have been voicing my opinion to them and as far as am concerned, a tablet should work just as a traditional tablet of what a tablet PC should be and from time to time I would pitch ideas to him but every time I do so he would argue with the idea, and I will him, you cannot argue with an idea, maybe the product that derived from that idea may not be as good as it is supposed to be but an idea is something that must be discussed in a vacuum. So the first time I saw assignment three for this course I leapt at the opportunity to bring all my ideas to life. I was so convinced of my designed ideas that I remember bragging at one of the earlier discussion for this course that I could design a better tablet than anyone out there.
When I began in search for the assignment however; I had my first real wake up call. Upon browsing the net, I found that virtually all the features and additions that I thought about, someone else had done them. The morning after discovering this, I had a good laugh with my friend by telling him that they have thought of all of my ideas before me. Despite this however; I pressed forward because none of the ideas were implemented exactly how I thought about them. Nonetheless, the lesson learnt here was that if you design a new product most likely someone else had that idea in mind. The first thing about my tablet is that it must look and feel like a notebook. The second thing about it is that you must be able to draw, write, doodle, create and do everything that you possibly can with a notebook but with the extended power that the computer brings.
Because I believe that when the ipad was designed it was not designed for students, however, it sets the standards for what a tablet should be. Battery life was the final thing that I had to take care of; for if you do any CPU intense activity with a mobile device battery life goes down significantly. With the design finalised and visualised my next step was what this assignment was about- selling it, and to be honest with you it was the most difficult part of the project. I came away from this with the belief that it is much easier to design and build a product than to sell it on a large scale. I basically followed the guidelines outlined for a venture pitch that was given with the course material; yet even with this clear outline it was still a very difficult task to put together a package that would convince someone to plough a million dollars into my project. In the end, between my full time and part-time job I was able to create something that I consider good under the circumstances, but nonetheless not professional. However, success for me here is not measured by my final project but from the experience that I had in making it and I am now in a much better position to bring a product to life and market it successfully.

Research
Company Cognisys
Productline
1. Creative Creative Case
2. Creative Portal
Venture
The Content
Venture Pitches should display all of the following facets, while Elevator Pitches will likely showcase the flashiest ones:

Hi I am Patason Brooks CEO of Cognisys. I am here to introduce our product line that will revolutionise mobile learning.

Pain Point

1. Morgan Stanleyresearch
Respondents use tablets much less for content creation. This may be partly due to the ease and speed of using the keyboard and mouse (Huberty et al.2012)

2. Businessinsider
3. The tablet is a media consumption and communications device. (Cocotas, 2012).

4. Gap Intelligence
Quoting HP’s Executive Vice President, Todd Bradley “Tablets are phenomenal for content consumption, while PCs are great for content creation.” (Kaur.2011).

5. Unesco
Mobile phones represent the antithesis of learning. Their small screens and often intellectually shallow content have led people to associate mobile phones more with entertainment than education. West.2012).

To add to this the tablet and smart phones have short battery life which limits their usefulness in the field for extended periods away from a source of electricity.

Solution and Differentiation
• Our creative product line solves these problems with a combination of patented hardware and software which allow these devices to be used in a natural way with unlimited battery life. The following illustrations show how we were able to accomplish this.

Annotated images
1. Our creative case
2. Our creative portal

• Competitive Edge: do they have any innovative advantages, and can they keep them?
• Patented low cost high output photon wafer bank power supply
• Patented universal wireless recharger
• Patented smart hinge lock technology.
• Ultra-thin full featured keyboard
• Creative Stylus
• Ultra-thin super strong tablet cover
• Creative software suite
• Patented OS switching technology.
• Patented changeable smartphone adapter (smartphone portal)

Market Readiness:

Educause
• mobile revolution finally arrived in 2005 (Cornell & Valdes-Corbell.2007).

NMC Horizon Report 2012 for Higher Education Edition
• “we seemed to hit a tipping point of readiness for mobile content this year.
• When mobile learning hits critical mass, people of all ages and occupations will reap the benefits”. (Johnson, Adams and Cummins.2012).

Unesco
• by 2015, 80% of people accessing the Internet will be doing so from mobile device
• internet capable mobile devices will outnumber computers within the next year. (Fritschi & Wolf.2012).

Morgan Stanley Research
• Mobile Users Come of Age
• Tablet demand is still underappreciated: (Huberty, et al. 2011).
• The market is even bigger and growing faster than we initially forecast.
• our new survey indicates shipments of 133 million (Huberty et al.2012)
Infinite Research
• The Tablet market has spawned a robust industry and ecosystem with an aggressive growth outlook.
• The market is young and numerous large-revenue opportunities exist for those companies offering differentiated products and/or services.
• Early movers are building competitive advantages and reaping the benefits in the form of profits. (Infinite Research.2010)

Opportunity Space

• The next question is how much money is there to be made?
• Once again let’s look at what the experts have to say.

BI Intelligence
• Smartphones will be a $320 billion market by 2016. (Gobry2012).
Business insider
• Tablets will be a $100 billion market by 2015. (Cocotas, 2012).
WinterGreen Research
• Worldwide tablet market revenues at $32 billion in 2011 are anticipated to reach $40.4 billion in 2012 and $181.5 billion by 2018. Tablet markets are forecast to grow at 29% year-over-year.( Yahoo Finance. 2012).

Market Growth
Smartphones
BI Intelligence
• Smartphone Sales Will reach a staggering 1.5 Billion Per Year By 2016 (Gobry2012).
Gartner
• More than 427 million phones were sold in total during the third quarter (or 142.3 million phones /month) (Whittaker,2012).
IDC
• Smartphones are the biggest and fastest growing “smart connected devices,”
• Smartphones are expected to go from 494 million units last year to 660 million in 2012 (or 55 million units /month)
• 1.16 billion smartphones shipped annually by 2016 (Blagdon,2012)
• Smartphone Sales Projected to Grow Almost 40% This Year (Punzalan,2012)
Gartner
• Worldwide media tablet sales to end users are forecast to total 118.9 million units in 2012 ( Gartner,2012). (or 9.91 million/month.)
Business insider
• Tablet unit sales will reach nearly 500 million units by 2015.
• Sales will grow at an 50 percent compound annual growth rate from 2011 to 2015.
• Among the drivers of long-term growth for the tablet market they listed were Enterprise sales, Education, and Emerging Markets. (Cocotas, 2012).

Tablets
Infinite Research
• In the next 5 years, total shipments of Tablet computers are expected to increase at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 56%, with shipments rising from 16.1 million units in 2010 to 147.2 million units in 2015.
• Tablets computers are now a main component of the mobile computing market, and their impact will continue to expand in the coming years. (Infinite Research.2011)

International Data Corporation
• its forecast for the worldwide tablet market to 117.1 million units fo 2012,
• It will grow to165.9 million units for 2013
• By 2016 worldwide shipments should reach 261.4 million units. (IDC.2012).
Smart phone projection
Company Year Projection/year Projection/month
International Data Corporation 2012 660 million
International Data Corporation 2016 1.16 billion
BI Intelligence 2016 1.5 Billion

Tablet projection
Company Year Projection (million units /year) Projection/month
International Data Corporation 2012 117.1
Gartner 2012 118.9
International Data Corporation 2013 165.9
Infinite Research 2015 147.2
Business insider 2015. 500
International Data Corporation 2016 261.4

Principal Customers
Business insider
Among the drivers of long-term growth for the tablet market they listed were Enterprise sales, Education, and Emerging Markets. (Cocotas, 2012).
NMC Horizon Report
• virtually 100% of university students worldwide come equipped with mobiles. (Johnson et al.2011)
• Mobile devices have become one of the primary ways that youth interact with and learn from each other.
• In the U.S. alone, 61% of Americans age 12 and up own a mobile device, and 44% specifically own a smartphone.
• 52% of children even under eight years-old have access to mobile media
• (Johnson.2012)

EDUCAUSE
• Ownership of tablet among college students and college-bound high school seniors has gone up more than three times from a year ago (Ingerman & Yang. 2011).

Cisco
• Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) is a powerful wave that hasn’t yet crested.
• Students want to use mobile devices inside and outside the classroom.
• Teachers, administrators, and staff are working smarter and more efficiently because of their tablets and smartphones. (Cisco. 2012)

UNESCO.
• Over 70% of mobile subscriptions worldwide come from the developing world
• 80% of the population living in rural areas are blanketed by a mobile network.
learners who might not have access to high-quality education or schools often do have working mobile phones.(West.2012).

how buyers/users will be reached;
• Social media
• Our online storefront
• Traditional stores and bookstores
• Online book stores and bookstores

• Competition: an overview of competitors and partners;
• Phablets these are a cross between a tablet and a phone in that they can be held in one hand to send or receive phone calls but with 5 inches displays and a stylus they can function as a tablet.
The screen size is just too small for one to work with in the manner traditional note pad would

• The pad phone a direct competition to our smartphone portal but lacks suffer from the same shortcomings as outlined before in terms creativity and battery life and the phone can only be used with the manufactures portal.

Championship:
Patason Brooks
Educational technologist with 25 years’ experience. 15 of which were spent as a science teacher.
For the remainder I was the director of the educational technology unit of the ministry of education of Trinidad and Tobago.

The management team Cognisys consist of :
Mr Howard St Louis
Director of marketing
The founder and owner of Caribbean office supplies limited which are the largest supplier textbooks and stationaries throughout the Caribbean.

Jean Pepperrell
Account with 10 years’ experience Price waterhouse.

Larry Brown
Director of product development
A software engineer
10 years experience at Motorola.

Design Team
Dorine Proctor
Computer Engineer with 15 years experience at apple computers.

Devon Mc Commie
Artist that is famous making household appliance look beautiful but retain their functionality.

Gwen Turner
Manager Customer services
A psychology major with who served for five years as the human resource Manager for BPTT

Posted in: General, Venture Forum