Join us for another great social event with postdocs from SFU, Feb 28th, 18:30.
This will be a casual event at Brewhall, a tap house at the trendy Mount Pleasant neighborhood (97 E 2nd Ave, Vancouver). If you’re new to UBC, this is a great chance to meet new friends over drinks. As always, we got the appies.
Author Archives: ido hatam
The PDA’s new 2018\19 Executive Team was elected at the 2018 AGM held on Wed, March 14th at the Life Sciences Institute, following a brief recap of the previous year from each of the outgoing Executive Officers.
Kieran, the outgoing president started things off with a brief overview of some of our past events, and the recently agreed increase to the PDA funding. Highlights included:
Kieran also gave a quick overview of the role and activities of the outgoing VP Operations, Mehrdad Bokharaei, VP External Moe Elgendi, and VP Finance Jürgen Niesser. The latter included more detail of the increase in budget as well as the current state of the PDA budget and PDA expenditure for 2017/18. Ido Hatam, the outgoing VP Communications discussed his role, including our increased reach with postdocs through more newsletter subscriptions and a great social media presence. Finally, Jessica Bosch the outgoing VP Social shared some of the great events she organized.
- Bylaw 5.6: A quorum at a General Meeting is ten Association Members, including at least half of Officers.
- Bylaw 7.6: RA Association Members may only serve as Vice-President Communications, Vice-President Social, or Vice-President Research Associates.
We then opened the floor for nominations for each of the Officer positions. Following the election, the 2018-2019 PDA Officers are:
- President – Alex Smith (Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences)
- VP Operations – Andrew Hagner (Michael Smith Laboratories)
- VP External – Fiona Zhang (Department of Urologic Science)
- VP Communications – Noriko Okamoto (Department of Botany)
- VP Finance – Chris Rider (Faculty of Medicine)
- VP Social – Ido Hatam (Department of Chemical and Biological Engineering)
The new team will officially take over from April 1, 2018, with the remainder of March used to facilitate a smooth transition.
We strongly encourage people to get involved with the PDA! There are lots of great people and fun to be had in planning our events. Contact us to join the executive team!
The UBC PDA is updating the association’s constitution, changing it to account for the growth of the association and it’s activities.
The amendments to the constitution better defines the roles of each of the officers and the committee members, as well as a set of bylaws that will help govern the association.
We encourage all postdocs and RAs to review the proposed changes, and send us an email with thoughts, concerns, or suggestions.
The constitutional amendments will be voted on during the next AGM, which will take place at the LSI room 1330, March 14th- 5:00 PM.
ciWe are excited to announce the call for nominations for candidates to be part of the UBC Postdoctoral Association’s 2018/19 Executive Team.
Deadline extended! Apply by Monday March 12th
- Represent the postdoc community
- Gain leadership and management experience
- Organize professional development, research and networking events
- Interact with big-name academics, advocates, and UBC leadership
The PDA is run by Elected Volunteer Officers (the President and 6 Vice-Presidents). All 7 positions will be elected for the 2018/19 year at our Annual General Meeting, held on Wednesday, March 14th in LSC room 1330 (5 pm). Find a list of open positions and a description of their roles below.
All UBC postdocs and research associates are encouraged to attend the AGM on March 14th for the elections. The event will be followed by a celebration with food and drinks!
Self-Nomination: Download the UBC PDA nomination form here. Please fill out this form and return it to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a recent photo and a short Letter of Interest (100-200 words) detailing why you would like to serve and any relevant experience.