Combined Mobile Answers

First of all, I just want to say thanks to the mobile team as you have pulled together a wealth of information on the subject of m-Learning. It’s impossible for me to get through all of the content, by this I mean following and reviewing all of the linked in information, so I’m glad it’s getting published to the Navigator so I can come back to it post-MET and review the links.
All the discussions about mobile learning made me think of trying to learn other languages which I have been trying to do for years, unsuccessfully I might add, using mobile devices. This includes the CD player in my car. I have bought language learning CDs for my car from French, to Japanese, to Spanish. I haven’t been successful at any of them. I wonder if it’s because when I try to learn on the go that I’m not stopping and focussing on the learning but rather trying to learn through some type of osmosis. I guess then this means that we need interactivity with our mobiles or it will just become more background noise on our daily commute.
I did a mobile application review of the Skill Pill website and demos. I didn’t go as far as purchasing the $4.99 app because I had seen enough on the demos and going by that and the description new that it wouldn’t be worth the time or the money. Skill Pill looks like it focusses on redesigning traditional format to fit the display screen of the mobile application. Actually, this is pretty much what they market themselves as, they say that they will animate and do voice over but the traditional content stays the same. This is not an effective use of the mobile technology. It looks like the company is more focussed on selling consulting services which aren’t well positioned if they cannot even demonstrate how they would take advantage of the affordances of the devices. The Pocket Guru, available at the app store, uses the motion sensor of the Iphone, true enough, but it is just to generate random content. I liken this to having your iPhone serve up the Dilbert cartoon of the day. It is enough to keep one amused on a dreary commute but not much more. I had high hopes when I read the name ‘pocket guru’ but unlike Siri, a true pocket guru, serving up just in time information directly applicable to the question asked, this application looks like it is just a shake and serve way to serve up static content.
If I were to make a change in order to adopt m-learning it would be to have more apps developed to actually take advantage of the affordances that the technologies offer rather than just repackaging traditional static content. It looks like, on the business side anyway, many mLearning companies are just reformatting the display as if that is all there is to do. I think the one thing that would need to change for mLearning to be successful in the workplace is the fundamental development platform. It’s just not easy enough for business course developers to develop for yet. Until this underlying critical component is addressed it will remain a costly undertaking to develop business applications and there probably won’t be a critical mass adoption until this changes.
I’m interested in the potential interactivity of m-learning so I decided to take the development testing a little further and went to Lynda.com, a software training site, to see if they had a course so that I could check out how challenging it would be, and sure enough they did.
I spent a few hours working through the course “Create an Interactive Map with jQuery and Dreamweaver”  the course format is the typical format of published videos, but I did learn that developing for multiple devices shouldn’t be that difficult. I didn’t get everything perfect when I did the course but I went ahead and published the final project from the course exercise files here.

I could successfully view and interact with this content on all my devices, the Iphone, Ipad, and my laptop. This is the type of design that is needed before we start seeing good m-learning content developed, but the learning curve is still pretty steep so I think it will be a while yet before this really takes off. Course designers should not have to be concerned about all the technicalities of publishing to multiple devices, the software development platform should be doing this for them.
Personally, I am setup pretty well in the device department but although I have an Iphone and Ipad I am already stale dated because I don’t have 3G or video on my Ipad and I don’t have Siri. I think both of these could offer a lot of possibilities for business applications from video role plays to e-Mentoring that taps into the Siri AI… if that ever becomes possible. I look forward to the possibilities of m-learning as the affordances are utilized to their fullest extent in future applications.

Posted in: Week 11: Mobiles