Greetings from Calgary

My name is Doug Connery; this is my 9th MET course. I started in the MET program three years ago in September 2009. To enable me to balance work, life and lifelong learning, I take one course at a time; thus I am on the scenic route through the program! However the end is in sight as I plan to graduate in May 2013.
I work as an administrator at a post-secondary institute, namely SAIT Polytechnic. I usually leave it at that, as I have found in the past when I try to describe what I do as a Curriculum Coordinator for the School of Business, people usually nod off pretty quickly. If you want to know more, here is a link to my digital story assignment for ETEC 565: What is a Curriculum Coordinator.
What do I do for fun? At work I try to keep my sense of humor and I always find entertainment value in anything or everything that happens day to day, even on those days that I care not to repeat…. In life I enjoy being active. In summer this includes pushing the limits in the vegetable garden, road cycling and hiking/backpacking. In winter this is primarily cross country skiing. While in the MET program, I find it a challenge balancing the need to be active with sitting in front of technology doing course work. Thus I could not imagine doing more than one course at a time.
Here is a picture of me from last weekend, actually yesterday, from a trip I did with my oldest son Linden who is now 24. He shares my passion for hiking, being in the outdoors and going to places few have been before us. So in a way I have never stopped playing with him. The picture is on the trail down from Aster Lake in the Rockies of southern Alberta.

Here is a picture of my wife Teriesa, my cycling buddy, on a ride through the beautiful farmland north of Calgary. I share her passion for the freedom of riding on quite highways and roads anywhere.

Also here is link to a video of a 2 week backpack that Linden and I did did last year, just for fun!
I am looking forward to the course, which sounds very challenging and working with all of you.
Doug.

Posted in: Week 01: Introductions