Learning Technology Trends to Watch in 2012

I chose “Learning Technology Trends to Watch in 2012” because I felt that this article had a lot of information in it that was applicable to the time and place I am teaching and learning in. I think the content in this article was delivered in a clear and concise manner. Emerging technologies and their uses which have become a big part of learning were introduced and explained well. I could easily draw links between what was being depicted in the article, learning opportunities and accommodations in our society. The technologies introduced are definitely tools that can assist in ‘designing learning experiences’ for students. They are changing the way learning occurs and in turn the way educators think about approaching teaching and learning. Each example made me think about how leaning becomes more open ended and accommodating. For example, Backchannel allows for learning to be extended beyond a time and place. The digital world we live in is loaded with information at students’ finger tips. However, not all of this information is legit. Content curation insures that information being used for learning is authenticated. The concept of web-based cloud storage of information removes time and place barriers which makes content more accessible and flexible. In my opinion, all of these learning tools would be well suited as additions to well-developed learning systems or can be used as substitution for others forms of learning.

While reading about these different technologies, I kept thinking about how each technology was great for learning in wired Anglophone countries, European countries with language skills and Asian countries with wired internet. However, I think these forms of technology are not suited for regions with restrictions or poor quality service and special situations. It is important to understand that these types of technologies may not be supported in some markets due to their cost, lack of access to technology, and the fact that some regions have more restrictions and censorship.

I really like the concept of instructional designers and educators as ‘learning architects.’ This is especially applicable in k – 12 leaning settings because educators and designers have an important role in these types of learning environments which entail being creative and innovative.

I think this article was very valuable for any educator or for that matter parent. I believe I would look for future editions because these types of resources will help keep me up to date on the evolution of technology and the direction it is heading.

Posted in: Week 02: The Edtech Marketplace