Faculty ProD Keynote: Simulation, Stimulation & Silence – Learning Online and Off

I gave this keynote at an excellent professional development event at my alma mater, the University of Alberta in August.

CTL TECHKNOWLEDGY Symposium Keynote

Here’s the abstract: Almost 20 years after the popular adoption of the Internet, we are still finding out about the nature of online places and spaces. Whether these locations are used for interpersonal communication or naturalistic simulation, they offer characteristics which may be ideally suited to some types of pedagogical activities and less appropriate for others. This often depends on a deeper understanding of the nature of these activities and experiences. In this presentation Norm Friesen of Boise State University will undertake a careful examination of a couple of practical examples. He will use these examples explore the nature of both pedagogy and the technology, in terms of their suitability for online, face-to-face and also blended contexts.

I also received some wonderful feedback from those in attendance:

The final keynote is very interesting.  I enjoy phenomenological work.

The keynote speaker was interesting and insightful.

I found the keynote speaker’s topic to be very interesting. It really got me thinking about the experiential aspect of learning with technology,  especially as it relates to simulations. It brought that needed theoretical and philosophical basis for the work that underlies pedagogy and instructional design/techniques using technology. It was a fantastic talk. – Faculty Member, Rehabilitation Medicine

This entry was posted in Media Theory, Phenomenology. Bookmark the permalink.