Summarize Readings (Chapter 1-2 & Hall of Shame Articles)
Amy Flett, Bobby Chilaka, Mike Rines and Nicole Hothi
- History of Physical Education
- Aboriginal games
- Training technique for the army (paid for and supplied by)
- Ryerson first visionary of PE
- 1892 – PE and gymnastics became mandatory
- Gender segregate in terms of sports/activities
- 1847 – Normal school designed
- Physical Education today
- Curriculum is created by the province or territory
- Four phases of making the curriculum (4-5 years)
- Pilot Phase
- Future of Physical Education
- Dominated competitive sports à inclusive healthy base sports
- Establishing a Professional Identity
- Developing personal identity
- Content VS Pedagogy
- Different types of teaching (physical literacy)
- Experimental knowledge (own experience base)
- Knowledge of Content (what to teach)
- Pedagogy (how to teach it)
- Open to new ideas
- Reflection in and on action
- Know your children community and context
Hall of Shame Article (Part 3):
- Focus on poor teaching practices as oppose to specific games:
- Students on display – Solution: station display
- One line, one ball, one change – Solution: Think creatively to use equipment for maximum participation
- Roll out the ball – Solution: Lessons must be carefully, thoughtfully planned, organized, presented and evaluated.
- Inappropriately sized equipment – Solution: use equipment to fit the athlete. Smaller basketballs for example.
- Exercise for punishment – Solution: use alternative discipline enhancing techniques
- Students choose captains – Solution: grouping should be done by the most qualified person for fair teams and to avoid embarrassment.
- Physical education class as sports camp – Solution: Move away from traditional sports and focus on sports commonly use in adulthood
- What are some advantages vs disadvantages in removing competitive sports from elementary school?
- What are some qualifications, or professional identity?
- Why is important to know your children community and context?
- Is Hall of shame flexible between age groups?