ABC – Week 5 – Group B

Just want to start off by saying that the group today did a fantastic job! It was the perfect way for me to wake up from an otherwise drowsy day, and I had a ton of fun. Thank you guys!

When the conversation of fitness testing came up today, I tensed out of reflex , which probably gives you a pretty good idea of how I feel about fitness tests. I found myself sympathizing with what Daniella said today about her own experience in high school, because I feel like that was how my own classes were as well. I feel like in my school, fitness tests had nothing to do with personal improvement and growth, but it was always just for the grade. I remember constantly reminding myself how many push-ups I needed to achieve an A, reaching that number, and then immediately giving up. I confess that neither I nor my friends ever bothered to push ourselves beyond that point, because as we saw it, what was the point? We may have gotten an A in the tests, but Iā€™m pretty sure we would have failed had self-motivation and effort been among the grading requirements.

Which, of course, leads me to think that there could have been better ways of incorporating fitness testing to actually make it more meaningful beyond the “I need to get a good grade” mentality that I and so many of my classmates possessed. If there’s one thing I’ve learned from this class, it’s the need to encourage students to think of physical activity and fitness as a short-term goal, but one that should be carried with us throughout our whole lives. In light of that, I personally feel like the way this particular test was done (in my high school at least!) felt more like a…throwaway “these students have to be graded somehow” activity than anything else. Maybe it’s just me? I’d love to hear how fitness tests were done in other schools!

2 thoughts on “ABC – Week 5 – Group B”

1. Thanks for your feedback on assessment of PE and including how you can relate to what Daniella shared in class discussion. I recall enjoying some things of PE, mainly fundamental and skills building, however, honestly I think PE tests do give high achievers anxiety and an overwhelming feeling to achieve the maximum for the letter grade of an “A”… That alone makes me question then how is it motivational to a student?? I think teaching healthy living and eating properly are the key to a successful student learning environment and giving them the education to explore more options towards things of physical activity of ones interest as a long term goal. Therefore the old PE curriculum made it military style of warm ups, assessments and evaluations which made many students like us nervous and sometimes stressed about the tests.

2. Interesting that when the discussion on fitness tests came up – I had similar thoughts to Lisa and Daniella in that during fitness testing in high school, students, myself included were focused on getting the grade rather than getting physically active to feel great. But even more interesting, the time span between my school experience and Lisa’s is many many years and yet as students, the thoughts, attitudes and fitness testing were pretty much the same. I agree with you too Angie, how can students be motivated with that old school approach; I certainly was not motivated in school and don’t recall ever receiving any feedback on any efforts I put into the class.

It truly is refreshing to know that the focus of physical education is more about students improvement and growth. Its a more holistic approach and will certainly contribute to a higher success rate with regard to students reaching intended fitness goals through physical education.