Movement Journal Week 4

Week four’s focus on assessment was really interesting; I enjoyed learning this very practical side of P.E.

I think that having Pre-Assessment is a really effective way of diagnosing where students are at, and how to best support them in their learning journey.  As well, having an idea of where everyone is at would help to differentiate more skilled and less skilled learners, to perhaps pair them up with each other in future lessons for extra support if need be.

Formative assessment can also be a team-building activity if it is done supportively through peer or self-assessment.  In my experience of PE, I was rarely aware of being assessed, or even what skills were being assessed – I think that peer or self-assessment would grow student awareness as to their strengths and areas of potential growth.

I have a lot to learn about assessment in general, and I am looking forward to developing these aspects of my practice.

One thought on “Movement Journal Week 4”

1. Mary, your comment about assessment got me thinking about why it means to assess and be assessed. In our group discussions we were reflecting back on the types of assessments we had undergone in PE. Thinking back I remembered activities like the beep test and push up and sit up competitions. The whole purpose of the assessment was purely on your level of fitness and ability to perform tasks. I remember always feeling pressure to perform better under those situations. A one time assessment, however isn’t really an accurate representation of an individuals’ skill level as there are many factors that affect someones performance on a given day (e.g. performance stress, tiredness, anxiety, injuries, previous sporting activities). The best way to assess a child’s performance effectively would be an ongoing assessment, where the child was unaware that they were being assessed. I like how you said you were rarely aware of being assessed in PE. I think that this is important for a child’s performance. The ongoing factor of assessment also allows for a more varied representation of a child’s ability to perform a skill or task. Additionally I agree that children should also be involved in their own self assessment, so they can track their progress and see themselves improve. This is important for motivation.