Hello from Powell River

Hello all,

This is one of my first MET courses and I’m excited to get started. My name is Rebecca and I am writing to you from the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia! I’ve been teaching for about 4 years, 2 of which have been here in Powell River, 1 in Australia and the rest on Pender Island and in my hometown of Victoria, BC. I got my BA with a major in English Literature and a minor in Environmental Studies, and my BEd, from UVic.

I am incredibly interested in this course because I see many programs, types of software, or websites get used in an educational setting that are either empty of content or difficult to use. I have seen technology work well with a variety of students and I am always disappointed when I see some type of technology fall short of what it could accomplish. I’d love to have a more solid understanding of how to get a project going or how to impact change when a program is lacking.

This year I’m working on a joint initiative with the BCTF and our district to effect change in our schools with regards to sustainability and I think that what I learn from this class could be incredibly helpful in this project and how we share our success with both entities. I also am sharing a grade 5/6 class and am starting a Learning Assistance role at the elementary school that I teach at.

Aside from the teaching I have a huge passion for the outdoors, fitness and travel. I’ve been to about 20 countries and would love to combine my career and passion in Education with my love of travel! I have included a picture of my first keeper: a Spring from a boat trip up Desolation Sound this summer.

I look forward to sharing ideas with everyone in our class. It seems like we have a real wealth of experience here!

Cheers,

Rebecca

Posted in: Week 01: Introductions