The objective of this module is to introduce the basic components of forest resource management (i.e., forest inventory and monitoring, forest growth and yield modeling, carbon accounting and monitoring). The aim is to give you a clear idea about the data acquisition approach (forest inventory), decision-making tools (growth and yield models) and current hot topics (carbon accounting) for forest resource management. After completing this module you will be able to:
- Identify the complex aspects of forest inventory and monitoring.
- Explain how to monitor forest resource dynamics through remote sensing.
- Explain the difference between forest growth and yield models of varying resolutions.
- Select the best model to make predictions when encountering a practical question.
- Establish individual-scale regressive models for estimating the biomass of forest stands.
- Describe forest structure in terms of DBH distribution and estimate carbon storage.