Memo (Best Email Practices)

Memorandum

To: Evan Crisp

From: Sydney Dunn

Date: July 20th 2020

Subject: Advice on Email Best Practices 

Thank you for sharing your email with me. It must be very frustrating to be waiting for a response. Hopefully the recommendations I have included below will be useful to you in the future.

• Including a subject line for the email will help the recipient have an understanding of your message before even reading the email. In this case something like “Request for a seat in your class” would be appropriate.
  • Using a more formal greeting such as “Dear Professor Lambert,” will help to personalize the message, again showing the recipient that the message is intended for them
  • In the body of the email being polite and concise to express your desired outcome will maintaining a you-attitude which considers your request from the reader’s perspective
  • Selecting an appropriately formal yet friendly sign-off such as “Best” or “Sincerely” followed by your full name will help to maintain the professional tone of your email

Best of luck moving forward! Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions regarding the comments above.