Letter of Application

Here is an example of an excellent letter of application: well organized, nicely balanced with friendly and professional tones, concise, detailed and complete.

May 17, 2016

123 Monopoly Avenue

Vancouver BC

English 301: Technical Writing

University of British Columbia

2329 West Mall

Vancouver BC

Dear classmates:

Please consider my application as a member of your professional writing team, as posted on the English 301 course website. I am a fourth-year Computer Science student with a previous degree in Commerce, and I intend to work as a software developer after I graduate. My goal in taking English 301 is to refine my technical writing skills to help me communicate effectively in the workplace.

My writing experience generally falls into two categories: business research and technical documentation for software. While pursuing a degree in Commerce, I wrote my thesis on the perceived job satisfaction of full-time and part-time professors in my university. This involved following strict style guidelines and paying special attention to the clarity, conciseness, and tone of my writing. Moreover, as part of a joint program between the University of British Columbia (UBC) and the Centre for Digital Media (CDM), I worked on a web application that helps medical students diagnose patients quickly and accurately. I wrote technical documents on the application’s software architecture and database design to help ensure that the project’s transition to its new developers will be smooth and swift.

Often, I write in a style that emphasizes brevity and expediency. My strengths include writing about complex ideas in a clear and analytical fashion and checking documents for grammatical correctness. Something I would like to improve, however, is conveying and eliciting emotion through my writing. I am detail-oriented and organized in my work, and when faced with a tight deadline, I am able to see the big picture and prioritize accordingly.

When learning about a new topic, I tend to start with a clear and measurable goal. This helps me identify and perform tasks that ultimately bring me closer to that goal. Although I prefer to take my time in learning new concepts and ideas, I find satisfaction in knowing that I am learning in an efficient and results-oriented manner.

Thank you for taking the time to review my application. I am looking forward to contributing my ideas and skills to your writing team. If you would like to get in touch, please contact me at al.idian@me.com.

Sincerely,

XXX XXX