Formal Report Proposal Memo – Glen Kavaliunas

To: Dr. Erika Paterson – UBC instructor English 301

From: Glen Kavaliunas – student English 301

Date: May 21, 2020

Subject: 301 Formal Report Proposal

As you know, all students in English 301 have been asked to submit a formal report proposal. This document is posted on the English 301 98A Technical Writing blog teams forum for The Scribblers.  A copy of my formal report proposal is included as an enclosure on this memo.

The topic of my formal report is a proposal for moving to a tobacco free campus at North Island College (N.I.C.) to minimize the impact second-hand smoke on the children at Beaufort Children’s Society Daycare facility, and N.I.C. students.

Below please find a brief summary of the contents of my formal report proposal:

• North Island College (N.I.C.) has designated smoking areas in close proximity to the daycare facilities, exposing young lungs to second-hand smoke.
  • Designated smoking areas are near the main entrance to every building, and it only takes a little wind for all students entering the buildings to be exposed to second-hand smoke.
  • Although moving the designated smoking area would be a good step, a real solution would be making North Island College a tobacco free campus.
  • The report will use objective observations, interviews, student surveys and second hand research.
  • I am a non-smoking student at N.I.C. and a concerned parent of a child in the Beaufort Day Care Society.
  • This change is needed for the safety of the children at the daycare facility and for my fellow students.

Please let me know if you require any further information. I look forward to your feedback and approval to begin research.

Enclosure: 301 Glen Kavaliunas Formal Report Proposal