Formal Report Propsal: Increasing the Quality of Hospital Food

To: Dr. Erika Patterson
From: Kathryn Simone
Date: June 16, 2020
Subject: Proposal for Increasing the Quality of Hospital Food

Introduction

Throughout the past few decades, the science linking a poor diet to illnesses like heart disease and cancer has proven to be robust. For example, in October 2016, the World Health Organization released a report placing processed meat in the highest-risk category for carcinogens(a formation of substances causing cancer), and declaring red meat “probably carcinogenic” (Harvard School of Public Health, 2016). It is thus surprising that hospital patients in Canada are served processed meals high in salt, sugar, and cholesterol. These meals put vulnerable patients at risk for longer stays and decreased health, especially long-term patients who will be consuming these meals over long periods of time.

Statement of Problem
In Canadian hospitals today, at a crucial time when at-risk patients need vital nutrients to heal, they are served hospital food that promotes disease and prolongs hospital stays. Studies show that, on average, malnourished patients are more likely to be readmitted within 30 days, stay in the hospital 2-3 days longer, and are at a greater risk of death. These additional days add up to an additional $2 billion in hospital costs per year (Murphy, 2017). This puts pressure on the healthcare system — in Canada, patients with chronic diseases most related to poor diet and nutrition account for $26 billion annually in health expenses (Lieffers, 2016). Importantly, although The Canadian Medical Association and Canadian Healthcare Association both have policies on the importance of food and nutrition, neither have taken a position on the issue of hospital food to date (Kidd, 2018).

Proposed Solution
One possible solution to the problem of poor quality hospital food is to mandate that meals must meet a certain threshold for the recommended daily allowances (RDA) for nutrients per meal. Going forward, hospitals can work with nutritionists to create meal plans that are both nutritious and affordable. Readership for this paper will be aimed towards Canadian hospital directors, as these are the individuals who have the authority to mandate change from within the hospitals.

Scope
To assess the feasibility of developing healthier meal plans for hospital patients, I plan to pursue five areas of inquiry:

1. What meals are presently being offered at hospitals, and are there any nutritional standards? How are these meal plans currently being decided upon, and by whom?
2. What is the current cost of production for feeding hospital patients across Canada?
3. What is the feasibility of feeding patients fresh, healthy food for three meals per day? What is the estimated cost of this?
4. Has feeding hospital patients healthy meals been successfully implemented in other countries around the world? If so, what can Canada learn from this?
5. What are the quantitative and qualitative benefits of mandating hospitals to provide meals that meet a certain RDA of nutrients for each meal?

Methods
My primary data sources will include consultations with Lions Gate Hospital occupational therapist Serafina Liotti, B.S in nutritional sciences and masters of occupational therapy, as well as giving current registered nurses a digital survey on current nutrition in hospitals.
Secondary sources will include publications on nutrition in Canadian hospitals, and a review of a study by Dr. Tappenden on the critical role of nutrition in improving the quality of care for hospital patients.

My Qualifications
I have been following nutritional studies for years, including my own experience in a UBC research lab. I have my BA in Psychology, where I took many classes focusing on nutrition and was primarily concerned with the influence of nutrition on psychological health.
My association with an occupational therapist, along with many current registered nurses, gives me the opportunity for an in-depth feasibility study.

Conclusion
It is apparent that action is needed to increase the quality of healthy meals served to Canadian hospital patients in order to improve patient outcomes. By addressing the five areas of inquiry mentioned earlier, I can determine the feasibility of increasing patient outcomes in Canada while maintaining a realistic budget. With your approval I will begin research promptly.

Kidd, M. (2018). Can We Cure Hospital Food? Readers Digest. Retrieved from https://www.readersdigest.ca/culture/can-we-cure-hospital-food/.

Lieffers, J. (2018). The economic burden of not meeting food recommendations in Canada: The cost of doing nothing. PloS one, 13(4), e0196333. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0196333

Murphy, T. (2017). The Role of Food in Hospitals. HealthCareCAN. Retrieved from https://www.healthcarecan.ca/wp-content/themes/camyno/assets/document/Reports/2017/HCC/EN/RoleofFood_FinalEN.pdf.

WHO report says eating processed meat is carcinogenic: Understanding the findings. (2016). Harvard School of Public Health. Retrieved from https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/2015/11/03/report-says-eating-processed-meat-is-carcinogenic-understanding-the-findings/.

One comment on “Formal Report Propsal: Increasing the Quality of Hospital Food
  1. erikapaterson says:

Hello Kathryn,

Thank you for posting your proposal. My first question that needs an answer is – Who is your reader(s)? Who has the authority to ‘mandate’ what hospitals feed people? You need to identify a reader(s) who has the authority to act on your final recommendations. Include a description of your reader(s) for me, and alert me with an email when you have made this adjustment please. Thank you.