Module 4 Weblog #1 by Dilip Verma

ÄYUUJK WËNMÄÄ´NY

Web Site address http://www.pensamientoayuujk.blogspot.com/

This is the only site in Mixe, an Indigenous language from Oaxaca, México that I have been able to find.
This Blog is bilingual, with poetry in Mixe accompanied by a translation in Spanish. It has only been running for half a year and all the posts seem to be by the same person. On the right hand side, there is a section for new Mixe words, where the author has added the Mixe words for Snail, Stairs, and Venus. My search during this fourth Weblog is for evidence of Indigenous discourse in Indigenous languages from my state, Oaxaca, which has a very large Indigenous population. According to the National Statistical Department, Oaxaca has the highest percentage of speakers of an Indigenous language in the Republic. 35% of the inhabitants over 5 years of age speak an Indigenous language and 5% are monolingual in that language (INEGI. II Conteo de Población y Vivienda 2005). There are 103,089 speakers of Mixe in the state (INEGI. II Conteo de Población y Vivienda 2005), but the digital discourse is virtually nonexistent.

There are no links from this site.

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.