Edmonton is not “Deadmonton”

In June I went to Edmonton for a conference.  The University of Alberta campus was lovely as were the trails along the river.  I stumbled across soopalallie in fruit (Shepherdia canadensis) which thrilled me to no end as I have one at home that never even flowers.  It is called soapberry because the fruit when whipped froths up.  It is made into a dessert called Indian ice cream.  You have to add lots of sugar though as it is sooooo bitter.

I also went to Muttart Conservatory.  It must be very popular for folks in Edmonton during the dead of winter…..There are a number of pyramid glass houses which represent different biomes…it has a lovely collection of plants.

My botanical wonder of the visit was Medinilla magnifica (native to the Philippines).  It is commonly called Malaysian orchid, but is no orchid! It is in the Melastomataceae which is the same family of another favourite plant Tibouchina, a common garden plant here, but we saw it in the wilds of Ecuador (another tale).

I had seen Medinilla magnifica in other conservatories, but didn’t notice how unique it is with its large paired opposite leaves and dangling inflorescence.  Then last week Kathryn Zeiler comes marching down the hall with one in her arms…..a gift for me!  What a thrill; I have my very own Malaysian orchid…thanks Kathryn!!!

This entry was posted in Botanical Meanderings. Bookmark the permalink.