Blog Hub

Your network wants to hear from YOU! Once you add your blog (course blog or otherwise) to our hub, you just need to categorize any post you want to appear here with the category you set when you signed up. Note, you will need to click on the title of a post to see who wrote it – we’re working on this!

Experts in Their Own Learning (Data)

One of the events that I’ve been involved with over the past few years is UBC’s Learning Analytics Hackathons. These events usually involve around 100+ students cramming into the very cool, but windowless, Sauder Learning Labs for a full day or weekend. They dig into data from educational technologies and explore by doing the ways […]

Looking at the OER Fund

The UBCV OER Fund, which I help to coordinate, aims to support affordable and inclusive access to learning materials through the adoption, adaptation, development, and integration of open educational resources in UBCV credit courses. Between Fall 2019 and Spring 2022, the Fund provided $650,076 in OER grant funding for 61 projects across 11 different faculties. Earlier this fall, […]

Open Strategies for Remote Teaching and Learning

The 2020/21 academic year brought a transition to remote learning and delivery of online courses. This transition, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, exposed the importance of student ease of access to textbooks and other course materials. One strategy for ensuring students had barrier free access to learning materials was the use of open educational resources […]

Intentionally Open

The Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology at UBC, where I work, has a long history of embracing open practices. We’ve openly licensed most everything on our website since 2014, created and openly shared many different teaching and learning resources, developed and supported open technologies, such as the UBC Wiki or UBC Blogs, which make […]

Intentionally Open

Open Snapshots: Thoughts & Processes

I’ve been publishing reports that attempt to capture a snapshot of the impacts and trends of open textbook and OER use at UBC for a few years now. I occasionally get questions about the process for developing the report and, somewhat belatedly, I thought I’d occasionally post some of my documentation and thinking of […]

Open Snapshots: Thoughts & Processes

Significant Commitments to Open Resources at UBC

In the fall of 2019, the Office of the Provost and the Vice-President Academic at UBC Vancouver committed one million dollars, $250,000 in annual funding for four years, to support the adoption, use, and sustainment of open educational resources (OER) at UBC. This grant funding initiative builds upon significant contributions and commitments that UBC faculty, […]

Questions & Answers

I recently had the opportunity to be interviewed by my colleagues on the CTLT Indigenous Initiatives team around the intersections of open and Indigenization, Wikipedia, and more: How did you become interested in learning about Indigenous engagement, specifically connecting to your own role at CTLT? I have had the opportunity to work with great colleagues […]

Questions & Answers

New UBC OER Fund Launched

I’m very excited to see the launch of UBC’s new OER Fund. The Office of the Provost has committed $250,000 in annual funding for the next four years to support: The adoption, adaptation or creation of open educational resources which address affordability and access to learning resources within UBCV credit-based courses. Course enhancements using open […]

New UBC OER Fund Launched

UBC Senate Endorses Principles for Learning Materials Used for Assessment

At their May 2019 meeting, the UBC Senate endorsed principles for digital learning materials used for assessment. The principles attempt to address affordability of compulsory materials, student agency and support for open resources and platforms. The endorsement of the principles contribute to UBC’s continued strategic support for open resources. Read the full principles at the […]

Examples of Open Scholarship

Open Scholarship is an umbrella term that encompasses some of the commonalities found in open education, open research, open access publishing, etc. Here’s a list of some examples of open scholarship: scholarly outputs such as educational resources, research findings, software, data, etc., made openly available and shared free of access barriers application of open copyright […]

Examples of Open Scholarship

Significant Use of Open Resources at UBC

In 2018, UBC published a new Strategic Plan that articulated the intention to expand the creation and dissemination of open educational resources as well as recognized the contributions that UBC faculty, student and staff have made in this area. These contributions have had a significant impact: in academic year 2018, an estimated 15,388 students were impacted by […]

Looking Ahead: 2019 Open Education Conferences

There’s a lot of great semi-local open education conferences in 2019 and I’ve started a list of them here:

UBC SoTL Dissemination Fund to Support Open Access

Great to see that UBC’s amazing scholarly work in teaching & learning will be available to more people: the new SoTL Dissemination Fund will help with fees related to open access publishing (and travel): https://isotl.ctlt.ubc.ca/sotl-dissemination-fund/ … Deadline is December 18    

Open Snippets

It looks like the 2018 AMS Academic Experience Survey (AES) has officially been published and one interesting finding is that 86% of undergrad respondents reported that they have used open educational resources in lieu of textbooks at least once. The Ubyssey covers the expanding conversation around the affordability of learning materials, including the cost of […]

Open as a TLEF Priority Focus

UBC-Vancouver’s Teaching and Learning Enhancement Fund (TLEF) was created in 1991 to enrich student learning by supporting innovative and effective educational enhancements. Starting in the 2017/2018 cycle, a priority focus on the development or integration of open educational resources (OER) was added to the criteria for new proposals. Furthermore, eligibility requirements were also added that specifically stated that funded […]

New to Me Resources

Here’s a list of new (to me) open resources: The Inclusive Learning Design Handbook: A resource to help OER creators support a diversity of learning styles and individual needs, developed by the floe – flexible learning for open education project OER HUB Research Kit: The OER Hub toolkit contains a set of resources for anyone […]

Institutional Support for OER

An emerging motivation for uptake of open education resources and practices at UBC is the increased presence of University policies and programs that support OER. The 2016/17 edition of the Guide to Reappointment, Promotion and Tenure Procedures at UBC (pdf) includes contributions to open educational resources and repositories as a possible criteria for evidence of […]

Dealing Critically with Reality

David Moscrop recently wrote in Maclean’s that “the right to speech is meaningless unless it is underwritten by a public that knows things—that is, an educated public.” However, in his book The Pedagogy of the Oppressed, Paulo Freire writes that education is not neutral; instead he states: Education either functions as an instrument which is […]

By: Aaron Davis

“Reverse Digital Literacy” <a href=”https://twitter.com/johnjohnston” rel=”nofollow”>@johnjohnston</a> <a href=”http://johnjohnston.info/blog/reverse-digital-literacy/”>johnjohnston.info/blog/reverse-d…</a> <a href=”https://twitter.com/search?q=%23edchat” rel=”nofollow”>#edchat</a> <a href=”https://twitter.com/search?q=%23digilit” rel=”nofollow”>#digilit</a>

Getting Comfortable with Gaming?

Three years ago I noticed a Strange ‘Game’, (the game is no longer at the url links from that post).I played the game for a few minutes and got nowhere, it looked lovely so I just linkdumped it for my class and forgot about it.Recently I’ve saw mention of it (on KimP’s Blog and Ewan’s) […]

Session over

Although I am ready for my holidays rather a lot of interesting things have appeared on the horizon in the last couple of weeks.On the software front I finally got round to using scratch with the children, samorost is inviting and we tried out slideshare. As usual I underestimated the amount of time I’d have […]

Another kml experiment

on google maps
kml file

Playing with Hackasaurus and popcorn

Yesterday I heard a few intriguing boos from Mozilla Festival by Doug Belshaw and Leon Cychwhich sent me on a day trip round the internet. I discovered: Hackasaurus makes it easy to mash up and change any web page like magic. You can also create your own webpages to share with your friends, all within […]

By: Alan Levine

Oh oh me, I will try.

Edutalk at Teachmeet Strathclyde

Last night I went along to Teachmeet Strathclyde at Jordanhill college, I had signed up a couple of days before and stuck my name down to talk about edutalk.cc. I noticed there were nearly 70 folk signed up and quite a crowd was gathered eating cupcakes when I arrived. This was the first TeachMeet I’d […]

Open UBC Snapshots: OER Adoption on the Rise

Thanks to the amazing faculty and students, there’s a lot of open educational activities happening at UBC. In an attempt to quantify and explore some of the trends, I, along with some of my colleagues, have tried to dig into some of the nitty gritty details in a new resource published at open.ubc.ca that I’m […]

By: Looking Back & Forward: What Bloghicans Do

Looking Back & Forward: What Bloghicans Do mentioned this article on cogdogblog.com

By: Mr Johnston

Mr Johnston mentioned this article on blogs.glowscotland.org.uk

By: David Hughes

David Hughes liked this article on twitter.com.

By: theophilus

I trust Open education can open more space to access education from anywhere

By: john

It is WordPress.org with our own setup, users authenticate through Glow (shibboleth), all Scots pupils and teachers have accounts. As with any multisite there are limitations. Limited choice of themes, plugins ect.
some covered on the Help:
https://bl…

By: Aaron Davis

Interwsting. Being your own setup, is it just WordPress.org or does it have similar restrictions as Edublogs.
P.s. Love the idea of a curated blog to celebrate glowing examples.

By: john

Hi Aron,
No, but same idea, Glow Blogs are our own WordPress Multisite setup (or 33 multisite one for each Local Authority). Got around 160,000 blogs created, most not public, lots are pupil portfolios.

By: Aaron Davis

Are Glow Blogs a form of CampusPress? Here in Victoria, Australia the state government pays for edublogs. It is so underutilized and I feel that people aren’t always aware what they have.

By: Aaron Davis

“New Blog: Glowing Posts” <a href=”http://johnjohnston.info/blog/new-blog-glowing-posts/”>johnjohnston.info/blog/new-blog-…</a> via <a href=”https://twitter.com/johnjohnston” rel=”nofollow”>@johnjohnston</a>

By: Mr M

likes this.

By: RT @johnjohnston: mp3 (and other files) upload on iOS Finally johnjohnston.info/blog/mp3-and-o…

This Article was mentioned on <a href=”https://brid-gy.appspot.com/repost/twitter/johnjohnston/644223837098242048/645125645706633216″ rel=”nofollow”>brid-gy.appspot.com</a>

By: St Ninian’s Gourock

RT <a href=”https://twitter.com/johnjohnston” rel=”nofollow”>@johnjohnston</a>: Blogging Advice & Bootcamp 2 johnjohnston.info/blog/blogging-… #GlowBlogs #GlowScot

I taught myself some CSS! (and am very excited about it)

I am working on a teaching and learning portfolio right now because I’m going up for promotion to Professor of Teaching (the highest rung in the “teaching” faculty track here at UBC). I decided to create it on my own domain I got with Reclaim Hosting, so I could have more control over the theme/plugins […]

WordPress for education: giddy new heights not same old LMS doldrums

Week 2 of the UBC.ca Teaching with WordPress Course                                     Well the great thing about open courses of course, is you can continue … Continue reading

Happy (Associative) Trails to You

Although #TWP15 has ended its formal run, the network lives on (I hope!), and so I’m going to keep blogging about this WordPress based course, How the Web Works. It also occurred to me after today’s class meeting that sometimes it would be a helpful practice to blog about a particular meeting as a reflective exercise, to think out loud, and to capture a bit of what transpired to help clarify my own thinking. I realized toward the end of our time today that we were on an “associative” trail that was largely serendipitous and unpredictable. An associative trail, for those new … Read more

The post Happy (Associative) Trails to You appeared first on How the Web Works.

My reply to Christina below went to the…

My reply to Christina below went to the ‘wrong place again….This would confuse student. heck it is confusing me 😉

Students posting on WordPress on the front end

I use WordPress for all of my course sites, and for some of my courses I ask students to post directly on the course site (for one they set up their own WordPress sites and they are syndicated to the course site). So far when I ask them to post to the course site I’ve […]

RSS is an Answer

Last evening I noticed on twitter: We’re live with the #TWP15 google hangout #WordPress support clinic. https://t.co/54NSLs7Izj and https://t.co/AYVtFEVPKY — Rich (@richardtape) June 18, 2015 And jumped in without thinking too much. Rich (@richardtape) was providing drop in support on a Google Hangout. Rich works at University of British Columbia which is, of course, organizing […]

Still Under Construction…but Starting to Take Shape

So we’re up and running with How the Web Works, my summer course hosted on WordPress. It’s definitely experimental, underdeveloped, emergent, and…messy! With one student (Chris) enrolled, it’s also sort of a paradox, as we try to co-construct a course that has principles of collaboration, peer-instruction, and connected learning baked in. But hey, we all play with the cards we are dealt, right? So far, to be honest, my focus hasn’t really been on the WordPress platform as such, but on getting a clearer sense of the conceptual map of the course (on the macro level) and on designing relevant … Read more

The post Still Under Construction…but Starting to Take Shape appeared first on How the Web Works.

Finding My Voice – My Teaching With WP Journey

Note: I think I know how my online students feel when they fall behind because “life and work”.  I haven’t been able to participate as aggressively as I wished in #TWP15 Teaching with WordPress, but hope springs eternal.  Here goes my story. In the video here I explain my journey to teaching with WordPress. I … Continue reading Finding My Voice – My Teaching With WP Journey

Call and Response

In I made discussions on WordPress! Christina describe how she organised some flipped learning and the student responses with the help of a plugin that list/shows posts with a shortcode. I love this sort of approach. I’ve been thinking through how to do this on a multisite such as GlowBlogs where you cannot easily install […]

Full Fat Feeds A trivial point

I am trying to get back into Teaching with WordPress after a weeks holiday with little Internet. Given I am using my long train commute to do this there are many points on my journey where I have no internet connection. This should not be a problem as I have a plan. I have subscribed […]

Problem with WP Comments: Help!

I seem to be having increasing problems with people being able to post comments to my site, and in the spirit of #ConnectedLearning and the Teaching with WordPress #TWP15 mooc, wonder if anybody can offer any suggestions for what may be causing these things or how to handle them? For all I know, these issues … Continue readingProblem with WP Comments: Help!

Designing for open #TWP15

Originally posted on Jeff Merrell:
I want to attempt to address two questions posed as prompts for week 1 of Teaching with WordPress: What can you do in the context of open that you couldn’t do before? What’s your biggest challenge in designing for open? Both of those questions meet me right where I am…

Designing for open #TWP15

Originally posted on Jeff Merrell:

Thinking About Learning Webs

Why webs for learning? In designing the Teaching With WordPress course, we ran across a notion proposed by Stephen Downes that open course design should be more about creating a web than a website. The idea, as I understand it, is to create opportunities for cross connections between ideas, resources, people and their networks. The […]

Thinking About Learning Webs

Thinking About Learning Webs

Thinking About Learning Webs

Why webs for learning? In designing the Teaching With WordPress course, we ran across a notion proposed by Stephen Downes that open course design should be more about creating a web than a website. The idea, as I understand it, is to create opportuniti…

Thinking About Learning Webs

Proto.Type. [Category test]

Syndication category test. With tags.Filed under: MSLOC Open Tagged: #msloc430, idea, leadership

When My Reality Is THE Reality

When I traveled recently in Germany on holiday, it was at the end of the #rhizo15 experience, when we were challenged en masse to reconsider learning objectives and even course (learning) content itself. While the formal period of this is now behind us, I find I need some form of closure (even for a course … Continue readingWhen My Reality Is THE Reality

Hackathon for Blended Learning 101

Lately, the big question[s], I am grappling with have to do with notions of learning community or learning webs: what conditions are necessary for learning webs or communities to work? why do we care about webs, networks and communities for learning, and how do we make that explicit to learners? why would learners care about […]

Hackathon for Blended Learning 101

Hackathon for Blended Learning 101

Hackathon for Blended Learning 101

Lately, the big question[s], I am grappling with have to do with notions of learning community or learning webs: what conditions are necessary for learning webs or communities to work? why do we care about webs, networks and communities for learning, a…

5Rs at #TeachMeetGLA

I went along to TeachMeetGLA on Tuesday evening a couple of weeks ago. Arriving before the crowd I noticed the very pleasant surroundings in CitizenM and very fast WiFi. Folk and the pizza started arriving around 5 before the 5:30 kick off. It was a great TM harking back to the early days. Ian kept […]

A web, not a website

In Teaching with WordPress, one of the week 2 topics for discussion is to think about how to design a web. This comes from a quote from Stephen Downes in a presentation called “Design Elements in a Personal Learning Environment,” where he says: “A MOOC is a web, not a website.” Now, in this he […]

A web, not a website

Proto. Type.

So rather than over-thinking, I’ve tried to opt for do-ing. Small steps. But msloc430.net is up. I let CogDog be the guide, set up the syndicated category hierarchy, installed the FeedWordPress plugin and let it rip. Bingo. Syn-dication. Really this is just messing around. But lately I’m beginning to understand the value of iterating – […]

I made discussions on WordPress!

Okay, so it’s not that fancy, but I’m pretty excited that I got the following to work. So in my PHIL 102 (Introduction to Philosophy) course this summer, I took one of the sections of the course and did a little bit of a “flip” of it, where I asked students to watch some videos […]

I made discussions on WordPress!

designing a web

Nancy White recently called me a ‘technology steward’ and I rather like that description for my work. It seems to fit so much better than ‘e-Learning Facilitator’. When I think of designing a web in my WP courses, I feel that stewardship is an excellent model for what I need to do. At TRU-OL, our […]

Gravity Forms + FacetWP = Gravatar People

Having just finished presenting1 at NMC. I said we all need to document more, to show examples and explain what we did. Making the notes for the presentation last night and being able to use the blog posts I’d already written really showed me the value of reflecting on little things in an ongoing way. It’s amazing how much stuff I do that I completely forget even happened. So this is how you’d make a gravatar people browser based on information submitted via a Gravity Form.2 This image above shows the basic setup for the Gravity Form. Form fields essentially get combined with some HTML in the post body field. It’s pretty simple but it might help someone. This is the basic setup in FacetWP that generates the query and the display code. There are two elements. Element one is the query which tells which pieces of content you want. The second part is the display which shows the content that you’ve retrieved in whatever way you define. The text version for the FacetWP template is below. There’s also a dab of CSS. 1 Or at least talking in a room with humans in it. It was not of enough quality to justify the term presentation. I need to figure out why that felt so bad. 2 Could also do […]

Teaching With WordPress: A Late Contribution to Week 1 #TWP15

My motivation to participate in this MOOC on Teaching With WordPress is captured in a post I wrote on my personal/professional blog a short while ago.  It is best to read that here rather than me reiterate it. The essential ingredient of the post was captured by the metaphor of deterritorialising the curriculum and playing […]

Faster Faster NMC Notes

I’m doing Faster Nyan Cat!1 Build! Build! tomorrow at NMC so . . . I’d better get moving on linking all this madness into some sort of coherent story with examples. So take a deep breath and . . . go look at another webpage. This is going to be long. Consider it something between speaker notes, reference links, and that scene in A Beautiful Mind2 links everything together with string.3 Once Upon a Time There was a guy who didn’t know how to program but who had quite a few needs and even more odd dreams that he wanted to come true. He was from Alabama which made it perfectly acceptable to make things work with a combination of duct/duck tape and bailing wire (even high tech things). This is the story of how to do stuff like that. It isn’t best practice.4 It may not even be good practice.5 It is simply a way (that has worked) to get lots of work done quickly within the narrow confines of my skill set. Keep in mind, I did a presentation for NMC previously with Jim Groom entitled Nonprogramistan and with the URL /ihatecode.6 There’s also some SPLOT-ish connotations to some of this stuff- just making a one purpose tool that allows users to do one thing with no usernames/passwords […]

tbqrt

tbqrt

tbqrt

tbqrt

The quick brown fox

The quick brown fox

The quick brown fox

The quick brown fox

The duck

The duck

The duck

The duck

This is a test

this is a testybqerv

This is a test

this is a testybqerv

gvqrelgvn

gvqrelgvn

gvqrelgvn

gvqrelgvn

Why the Duality? or What is it with German History?

Ok, so having spent the past week in Germany, I now have a better understanding of the history and actions from this part of the world. Or at least I thought I did. I started to understand things in a nice, and safe, dualistic way. Things were not like this, they are rather like that. … Continue readingWhy the Duality? or What is it with German History?

Hello world!

This is your very first post. Click the Edit link to modify or delete it, or start a new post. If you like, use this post to tell readers why you started this blog and what you plan to do with it.
Happy blogging!

Examples of Teaching with WordPress at UBC

Here’s a quick (well not that quick) screencast I put together as part of the Teaching with WordPress course. In the video, I highlight some of the different approaches and use cases of how WP is being used for teaching and learning at UBC. Here’s the specific courses and plugs-in that I mention: SoilWeb200: http://soilweb200.landfood.ubc.ca/ […]

What’s a WordCamp?

Apparently it’s a kind of local conference, all about WordPress. Here’s a little of what they have to say at …

Continue reading

What’s a WordCamp?

Continue reading