Movement Journal for Week 5 (Oct 9th): Amanda Santos

This week the focus of class was invasion games and we learned about the TGfU model as an approach to PE class. Firstly, I thought that the group did an exceptional job taking us through the lesson. I liked the warmup and the cool down a lot. The game part was awesome and I definitely broke a sweat! The group did a great job breaking down the ideas behind an invasion game and using the TGfU model within their plan. It was fun and I could see a grade 5 class really enjoying that lesson and it was great because there were so many skills being worked on as well.

A discovery approach would be useful in game play because it could provide the students the opportunity to take ownership of their learning. Rather than the teacher giving up all the answers it is up to the students to realize what they are learning and why they are learning it. Questioning students with open ended questions and bringing that inquiry type of learning to PE class would benefit students.

The lesson today definitely included all learners. Breaking down the skills helps to include all learners. The TGfU model encompasses different aspects to help students learn but also be included.

One thought on “Movement Journal for Week 5 (Oct 9th): Amanda Santos”

1. I also really enjoyed the warm up and the cool down because I feel that this is not included in the type of physical activity that people usual take part in. I think that this kind of stretching and yoga moves should become part of warmups for certain types of game like volleyball, or hockey especially when done along with music. I will even use this approach in giving students a warm up in my pe class. I agree with Amanda about the fact that this weeks team teaching allowed everyone to be included. One limitation I thought of though was what if the team members try to exclude someone by not passing the ball to a person each time all others were given a turn (on invaders team). I also liked how the fundamentals of the TGfu model were included in the lesson. For example, the idea of performance and skill execution were emphasized with the learner being able to figure out on their own the dynamics of what to do not to get “tagged” by the octopus’s in the middle. I think that when this model is used correctly, students will have more confidence in being to understand a game fully and there is a greater likelihood that students will enjoy physical activity later in life. Further, asking students questions about what kind of strategies could be used to improve success in a particular game is effective in promoting understanding of the game and one’s own problem solving capabilities (Metacognition).