TA Spotlight – Jan Xue

Photo source: Jan Xue

Jan completed her BSc in Biology at UBC. At the beginning of her undergraduate degree, she spent a summer working at the Arnold Arboretum, a breathtaking and beautiful museum of trees collected from around the world. There, a life-long affair with the botanical sciences was well on its way.

During her time as an undergraduate, she also explored many different types of research. With more experienced scientists, she was involved in projects such as making biological sensors, exploring the impact of predation on the evolution of brain size, exploring the effect of fluoxetine on broad changes in the brain, and the cellular localization of proteins involved in cell wall synthesis. Ultimately, these experiences imparted a love for evolution and molecular biology. Now she uses these tools to study algal cell walls as an MSc student in the Samuels lab and Martone lab at UBC.

Jan studies the cell walls of the calcifying red algae Calliarthron tuberculosum. Specifically, she looks at cellulose, which is a major structural component in the walls surrounding the cells from both land plants and algae. This cellulose imparts structural strength and biomechanical flexibility. She searches for the proteins that are responsible for making cellulose in this red alga.

In addition to her research, Jan continues to TA for BIOL 200 (Introductory Cell Biology) at UBC.

What do you enjoy most about being a TA?

It is rewarding to see students grow as creative minds, scientists, and people. In Biology 200, especially, we introduce students to a data-driven approach to seeing science. Initially, it is often difficult for students to look at data and extract what it tells us. However, as each term goes on, it’s fantastic to see their ability to interpret the data, and by extension science, evolve! It makes teaching so special and enjoyable.

Also, understanding that this is a formative time in their lives, I endeavor to create spaces where students can feel both supported and intellectually challenged. Testing and adapting how to do this in an effective way between groups of students is also interesting and fun.

What opportunities relating to teaching and learning have you been a part of?

I have previously participated in the BioTAP program at UBC. Here, TAs from across campus are invited to discuss the challenges of TAing and how to be a more effective TA. Currently, I am a Senior TA that helps with this program. I have also received a great deal of direct and indirect mentorship from many of the teaching and research staff in the Botany department. In particular, I have learned a lot from discussions with teaching coordinators such as Dr. Robin Young and Dr. Vivienne Lam.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I like to go to gardens such as VanDusen. I enjoy seeing the garden change at different times in the year. In particular, I go to the heath garden in the late winter and a specific patch of lavender during the summer. If it’s not too cold out, I also like to sit hidden away on one side of their rose garden and work on my laptop or read.

What is a memorable experience from your own undergraduate experience?

I remember feeling so overwhelmed and almost dropping out of UBC during the first year of my undergraduate degree. During that period of my life, it felt like I couldn’t seem to improve no matter how hard I tried. With the encouragement of my friends and family, I persevered through that first year. I slowly learned how to manage my stress and studying habits.

I genuinely believe that anyone can do well but that it can take some struggle, trial, and error to get there. For me, being in a relaxed state of mind made learning much more enjoyable! One foot in front of the other, and now I am in graduate school.

What is a fun fact about you that people may not know?

I like to practice cutting hair in my spare time. I ask my friends and families, and they usually let me cut their hair after some persuasion. Often it turns out very stylish and good.