TA Spotlight – James Marchant

Photo source: James Marchant

I completed my undergraduate degree in general biology at the University of Western Brittany, Brest, France. I then completed a Master’s in marine biology at the European Institute of marine studies, Plouzané, France, where my research focused on calcium flux in cardiac cells for studying the cellular basis of fish cardiac performance. This first real research experience formed the basis for my fascination with cardiac physiology.

I am currently pursuing my Ph.D. under the supervision of Dr. Tony Farrell, investigating the mechanisms of cardiac pacemaking and thermal tolerance in the zebrafish. This research topic led me to collaborate with researchers at the University of Manchester, UK, where I generated a CRISPR zebrafish line to study the role of a specific ion channel in pacemaking.

During my time at UBC I have TAed Biol 200, 361, and 363, all of which I have thoroughly enjoyed, and cannot wait to teach again!

What do you most enjoy about being a TA?

The thing I most enjoy about being a TA is seeing the sense of achievement students get after understanding a difficult concept or solving a problem. Supporting students’ learning and helping them to achieve a goal is extremely rewarding and seeing students improve over the course of the semester is very satisfying. Teaching allows me to contribute to the undergraduate learning environment and hopefully make a positive impact!

What has being a TA brought to your graduate studies experience?

TAing has helped me improve my communication skills, my ability to think fast, keep on my toes, and adapt my approach to explaining a concept or how to tackle a problem. Interacting with enthusiastic undergraduate students motivates me to keep learning and to answer challenging questions.

What opportunities relating to teaching and learning have you been a part of?

I completed the Instructional Skills Workshop shortly after joining UBC. During my time at the University of Manchester, I was involved in teaching several courses and tutoring programs. I was awarded the status of Fellow by the Higher Education Academy of the United Kingdom for my teaching accomplishments.

What is a memorable anecdote from your own undergraduate experience?

I had a hard time choosing my undergraduate major between population biology and molecular biology. After a few lectures, a professor, who would later become my Master’s mentor, introduced the concept of thermal tolerance and aerobic scope in fish. The data was based on a study performed on salmon in the Fraser river, which showed that salmon that migrate the furthest have greater aerobic scope and higher thermal tolerance as they swim further and navigate through warmer waters! My fascination with fish cardiac physiology started at that moment in that lecture hall. The lead author of that particular study is now my Ph.D. supervisor.

What is a fun fact about you that people may not know?

I’m learning Greek! The goal is to hold a real conversation with my mother-in-law without hand gestures or me running for the dictionary! I find that learning another language is extremely engaging and enough of a challenge for it to be a productive distraction from my thesis.

What are your plans following graduation?

After graduating I would like to find a teaching postdoc position so that I can continue doing the research I’m interested in and to continue doing something that I find extremely rewarding. I would probably start by visiting family back in Europe before starting a position, but don’t feel quite ready to leave my dictionary at home!