Peer Tutor Spotlight – Risa Ogushi

Photo source: Risa Ogushi

Hi! My name is Risa and I’m in my fourth year studying marine biology. I grew up in Vancouver and I love all things involving the ocean, especially marine invertebrates and seaweeds!!

This is the second year I’m peer tutoring for BIOL 121 and it has been one of my favourite experiences during my time at UBC!

What do you most enjoy about being a peer tutor?

My favourite part about being a peer tutor is connecting and interacting with the students. Being able to help out students – whether guiding through practice problems or sharing general school advice – has been super rewarding for me.

What has been an interesting outcome of your peer tutoring experience?

One of the more surprising things, and one of my favourite things, about peer tutoring is all of the students’ questions! Even though I’ve taken and peer tutored for BIOL 121 before, I still get so many questions that take me a good minute to think through (or stump me!) and make me think of the topics in new ways. I love seeing the students’ curiosity and it inspires me to ask questions in my own classes as well!

How has your unique background influenced your peer tutoring experience?

I used to work at the Vancouver Aquarium running birthday parties and day camps for kids. Whether I’m explaining a concept to a first year student or a seven year old, my main approach is still the same: try different ways to explain things, be patient and compassionate, and be excited about what I’m teaching! Also, as a student who struggled a lot in first year university, I can look back and share with students what worked and didn’t work for me.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I tend to flip-flop between hobbies but I’ve been really into knitting and crocheting for the past couple of years. In the past, I’ve dabbled in embroidery, baking, watercolour painting, playing guitar, and sewing. Recently, I’ve been spending time working on paint-by-number kits and watching the Great Canadian Baking Show (fun fact: there is a ~2 second clip of me crocheting a bull kelp)!

What is a fun fact about you that people may not know?

A fun fact about me is that I really like Swedish things for no particular reason. I’ve taken two Swedish language courses here at UBC, and I’m taking a Scandinavian crime fiction course next term which I’m really excited for! I also have a Swedish Christmas party with my friends every year, despite none of us being Swedish.

What are your plans following graduation?

Honestly, I have no clue. When I started university, my heart was set on becoming an elementary school teacher, and I wasn’t expecting to like biology (and seaweeds) so much. Now I’m starting to consider grad school, but I haven’t decided. I’m currently working on a project with the Martone lab, and I’ll see if I want to do more research in the future. Regardless of what I decide to do, I know I want to do something that incorporates teaching and biology!