TA Spotlight – Sandra Emry

Photo source: Sandra Emry

I’m currently a PhD student in Dr. Chris Harley’s lab in the Department of Zoology, where I study a large range of topics related to climate change impacts in intertidal systems. Prior to my PhD, I also did a Bachelor of Science here at UBC with a combined major in Biology and Oceanography. During my BSc, I worked with Dr. Evgeny Pakhomov to study the population dynamics and morphological traits of the hyperiid amphipod Themisto gaudichaudii at the Antarctic Polar Front.

My PhD research investigates anthropogenic impacts at several levels of biological organization, from intraspecific variation in thermal tolerance, to how species interactions mediate the response of communities to stress. I’m currently in the last year of my PhD (after taking two maternity leaves) and am loving the break that TAing gives me from writing my thesis.

While at UBC, I’ve been lucky to TA several different upper-level courses such as Biology 306 (Advanced Ecology), Biology 411 (Insect Ecology), Biology 320 (Survey of Algae) and Biology 326 (Experimental Biology of Invertebrates).

What do you most enjoy about being a TA?

I love the challenge of changing the way I approach teaching based on the individual. Everyone comes to the classroom with a different background, both from their education as well as their lived experiences outside the classroom that impact the way they learn. Finding new ways to teach difficult subject material and seeing students grasp the concepts is incredibly rewarding.

What has being a TA brought to your graduate studies experience?

If I’m being honest, I applied for grad school excited about research, and teaching wasn’t really on my radar except as a way to reach the minimum stipend required for grad students. Fortunately, I’ve ended up loving being a TA and teaching has absolutely enriched my time at UBC. TAing has also given me invaluable skills that have transferred to my research, such as time management and collaborating effectively with a team.

How has your unique background influenced your TA experience?

I was fortunate enough to have some fantastic TAs as an undergraduate, and I’ve used my experiences with them as a model for how I like to teach. Learning a new subject isn’t always easy and getting out of your comfort zone to ask questions that you might think are silly is challenging. I strive to always be kind, approachable and nonjudgmental when interacting with students.

What opportunities relating to teaching and learning have you been a part of?

I’ve taken several of the seminars offered by Biology’s TA Development & Advancement team, most recently on creating an inclusive learning environment. I’ve also been on the waitlist many times for UBC’s ever popular Instructional Skills Workshops for Grad Students. Fingers crossed my name will be pulled from the lottery one of these days!

What is your most memorable moment as a TA?

I’ve been lucky enough to TA classes or labs with a small number of students, which means I’m able to really get to know the students. Many of the students are doing their own research as well, as either honours students or directed studies students. I love it when my students feel comfortable enough to approach me with questions related to what we learn in class that also pertain to their own research. For example, in Biology 326 we teach appropriate statistical analysis for ecological experiments, and how to write the code in the software program R. There have been a few occasions where students didn’t feel comfortable asking their own supervisors for coding help and so they asked me instead. One day when I was in the Biology office looking up an undergraduate thesis from an old student of my supervisor’s, I also looked up some of the theses from previous students that I had TAed. One of these students mentioned me in their acknowledgements section and thanked me for being so open, welcoming, and inspiring. This was definitely a memorable moment for me, because nothing beats being able to make a positive lasting impact on someone.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

I have two very active boys, aged 2 and 5, that keep me very busy! When I’m not working, or parenting, I like to run with a local run club and race a few half marathons every year. Maybe I’ll attempt a full marathon when I finally graduate. I also try to get out scuba diving every once in a while. While it’s pretty chilly to dive here in the winter, it’s also when the visibility is the best!