Peer Review for Siddhartha Gupta

To: Siddhartha Gupta

From: Matthew Shen

Date: June 9, 2020

Subject: Peer Review for A|B Testing Definitions

I’ve just looked through and reviewed your expanded definition of A|B Testing on our team forum. Thank you for teaching me about this technical term, I think it will be useful to know in the future as it can be applied to a variety of communicative situations.

I don’t need to ask any further questions about the definition itself and your writing made the explanation easy to understand. As you refer back to your situation of the business owners, I can understand how A|B Testing is used with consumers.

There are some revisions that I would recommend, the following are some potential improvements that could be made to your definition:

Organization: The expanded version was broken down into interesting sections and was well cited. You used a variety of sources to put together a complete picture of A|B Testing. Additionally, I liked your use of images to support your example. Some aesthetic edits that could help would be increasing the size of your font for headings or making them differ from your subheadings. This could help direct readers easily throughout your definitions. Finally, I think you could expand more on the compare and contrast. Are there any downsides to A|B Testing in comparison to Multivariable testing? While you mention the cons of multivariable testing (more difficult to set up and more time consuming), you don’t mention the cons of A|B Testing or the potential upside of multivariable testing (although it can probably be inferred).

Voice & Flow: There were some instances during your definition that I found choppy while reading. For example, I think “ The business owners who are a middle-aged couple who run the shop” can be worded differently to help readers read with more ease. Another example would be “  Despite their differences multivariable and a/b testing are often limited to one page,” which I feel like could be a potential run on sentence. If you reread your definition slowly you’ll pick up on these small changes that have to be made.

Purpose and Audience: The paragraphs introducing your definition were clear and concise. You laid out a situation to which A|B Testing could be applied and identified your audience.

I hope my recommendations are of some use to you for editing your assignment. Your assignment is well written and there are just some minor changes that I believe could make it a perfect definition. If you need anymore feedback from me, feel free to reach out to me!

(Original Blog Post: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-98a-2020sa/2020/06/05/writing-3-definitions-ab-testing/ )