Research Proposal – Cathy Liu

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, Instructor, ENGL 301

From: Cathy Liu, Student, ENGL 301 

Date: June 25, 2020

Subject: Proposal for Implementing a Self Serve Keno Machine at BCLC Lotto Booths

Introduction

The BCLC (British Columbia Lottery Corporation) is a billion dollar business selling lottery tickets, scratch tickets, and other forms of betting. Keno, one of its popular games, consists of a draw every three minute and thirty seconds in which players bet up to 10 numbers which they hope to be drawn. Of all the tickets being sold in store, Keno is the only game which requires the ticket to be purchased within a set time limit.

Statement of Problem

Due to the fast nature of the game, if players do not submit their Keno betting slips to the cashier in time to receive their ticket, they miss the round altogether. This often leads to frustration from customers when they wish to participate in specific rounds. Although the Lotto Booth in Guildford Mall has 2 cash registers, cashiers deal with transactions for all tickets and games and can not match the fast paced style of Keno when the store is busy. This may lead to a decrease in Keno players due to the store’s inability to meet their needs which results in a decrease in sales. 

Proposed Solution

There are ways that this problem can be solved. A self serve Keno machine should be installed at the Guildford Mall location that is designated specifically for Keno players. This machine will focus solely on providing Keno players with getting their tickets back on time so they can join the round they want. Without having to line up to wait for other customers who do not have time limits, Keno players can play comfortably. 

Scope

To determine the viability of implementing a serve serve machine designated for Keno, here are the questions I plan to find answers for:

1. How much will a self serve machine cost?
  2. How much will it cost to install this machine?
  3. How much does the store already make on Keno sales?
  4. Compared to the rate tickets are selling currently, how much more profit will a self serve machine bring in?
  5. How can the store promote this machine to increase customer interest in playing Keno at this location?
  6. What are the benefits compared to a cashier run register?

Methods

To determine the effects of installing this new machine, my main sources of data will include retrieving information from past co-workers to view their thoughts on if this will benefit the stores. I will also conduct a survey specifically for Keno players to explore their frustrations and concerns regarding the current purchasing system. I will ask questions such as whether they feel they have enough time in between games, how often do they run out of time, and whether this inadequacy stops them from wanting to play. 

My Qualifications

Having previously worked at the Guildford Mall Lotto Booth for a year, I have dealt with many customers who became frustrated due to the long lines and inability to match the speed that is required from Keno. 

Conclusion

Meeting the needs of the customers is an important aspect that businesses must consider. While most customers can take their time and ask questions when purchasing scratch tickets or lottery tickets, the limited time set by Keno requires its players to move quickly. Having an individual machine specifically catered to Keno players would improve efficiency and speed. By addressing the areas I have outlined, I will be able to create a plan to set this in motion.

One comment on “Research Proposal – Cathy Liu
  1. erikapaterson says:

June 24, 2020

Hello Cathy,

Thank you for posting your proposal for a Formal Report. While this is an important issue, there are some difficulties with this proposal. The first and most significant problem with the proposal is this investigation involves a sensitive and personal subject: gambling addiction. This is confounded by the proposed solution that involves individuals who sell lottery tickets – these people do not have the training or skills to assist people with gambling addictions, this is the job of a professional and people without skills can cause more harm than good. I am sorry to say you need to think of a different investigation, the subject is too sensitive for our course and the ethics committee would not approve.