Business Letters- Complaint and Bad News

Complaint Letter #1

Sydney Storie

399 Atwood Road

Grand Forks, B.C V0H 1H9

Ph. 250-528-0397 Email s.storie@ubc.alumni.ca

July 22, 2020

Kettle River Veterinary Services

7480 4 St

Grand Forks, BC V0H 1H0

Attention: Dr. Ruth Sims

Our small town of Grand Forks is delighted in welcoming you back to pursue Veterinary Medicine. With Grand Forks being a rural town, the city has been struggling over the past couple of years without a veterinarian. Now that Kettle River Veterinary Services is back in business, the city of Grand Forks has been reassured in knowing that the health and care of our pets will be in your hands for the foreseeable future.

In the past, I have been a regular client, bringing in Saint Bernard dogs for routine check-ups, spays and neuters, as well as vaccination updates. Previously, I had you and your team come out to look at my horse Spike. There is much appreciation for the times that you have dedicated driving out to the farm to routinely check up on the health of my animals.

Now, bringing your attention to the last appointment for Spike, dated July 20, 2020, the appointment was a house call regarding his vaccinations. Spike only needed a deworming and rabies shot to be considered up to date on his vaccinations. The cost for the deworming was $24.99 and the rabies vaccination was $109.00, including the house call fee of $75.00 which finalized an amount of $208.99. I phoned the clinic ahead of time and had the receptionist, Monica, charge my Mastercard before the appointment as it was a house call. Two days after the appointment, I received the paid invoice in the mail. Upon reviewing the invoice, I noticed there was an additional vaccination charge of $74.99. This additional charge is listed as a tetanus shot on the invoice. I am certain Spike did not receive a tetanus shot during this house call appointment. I would like to kindly ask if you can please review your files and confirm that Spike did not receive a tetanus shot on July 20, 2020.

If I may request you to review the billing as soon as conveniently possible and issue a refund on the Mastercard on file or provide account credit for future appointments, that would be greatly appreciated.

This is a minor inconvenience and I understand that your clinic will do their due diligence in providing a refund for the additional vaccination charge. Kettle River Veterinary Services is the only clinic I trust with my animals and I appreciate the time and care you provide when dealing with the appointments. I hope this inconvenience can be resolved in a convenient and simplified manner.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Sydney Storie

A client of Kettle River Veterinary Services

Bad News Letter #2

Kettle River Veterinary Services

7480 4 St

Grand Forks, BC V0H 1H0

July 22, 2020

Sydney Storie

399 Atwood Road

Grand Forks, B.C V0H 1H9

Dear Miss Sydney Storie:

Thank you for bringing this matter to my attention. I am honoured to have such a warm welcome back into the city of Grand Forks while providing passionate and caring services for your animals. Kettle River Veterinary Services is pleased to have you and your animals as a long-term customer. My apologies for the inconvenience of the last appointment. Your contribution and support to Kettle River Veterinary Services are essential to us.

Upon reading your email dated July 22, 2020, I understand you are requesting a refund for the tetanus shot listed on the invoice. After reviewing my documentation and notes I can confirm that Spike did receive a tetanus shot on July 20, 2020. When reviewing Spike’s notes on file, I can also confirm that the only shots Spike required was rabies and deworming to be considered up to date. I confirmed Spike’s file notes and my documentation notes with Alicia, who is a newly hired Registered Veterinary Technician. Alicia helped prepare the vaccination briefcase needed for Spike’s house call. Unfortunately, Alicia confirmed that she accidentally mixed up the vaccinations and included a tetanus shot in the briefcase for Spike’s appointment. Fortunately, there is no harm in giving a horse a tetanus shot.

Out of due diligence and our appreciation to you, Kettle River Veterinary Services would like to offer a refund on the house call fee of $75.00 for the appointment dated July 20, 2020. Unfortunately, Kettle River Veterinary Services is not able to provide a refund for the vaccination as it has been an administered drug, it would be against the law if we were to refund a used vaccination. Kettle River Veterinary Services hopes that removing the house call fee will resolve the inconvenience that we have caused and we would like to apologize again for the miscalculation.

We appreciated your client support and wish to serve you better at your next visit to Kettle River Veterinary Services. If you have any other questions or concerns regarding the previous appointment, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Dr. Ruth Sims