Fairy Tales for Twentysomethings

Sleeping Beauty was lying in bed checking Facebook from her phone, just feeling so completely alone in her depression. Then she came across a post from an acquaintance about how sad he was, it was a darkness that made him feel like nobody could ever understand how he felt. “Is there anyone else who feels this way?” he asked.

She felt a sense of relief wash over her, a little bit of joy, and thought, At least I’m not so sad I wrote about it on Facebook.

This morning, a librarian friend of mine tweeted this. I thought it was worth sharing. It’s worth a few laughs, but it’s also a bit apropos, isn’t it? Old tales shortened, updated, and twisted to suit modern readers. A not of caution, though: some of the humour / language has a bit of an edge some might not like.

http://fairytalesfor20somethings.tumblr.com/

This entry was posted in Technology, Text and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Fairy Tales for Twentysomethings

1. I came across this tumblr blog the other day and didn’t immediately connect it to 540, but I see where you’re going! Bolter (2001) discusses “The End of Authority” in Chapter 8: Critical Theory in a New Writing Space, and I think that the remixing of dearly loved stories and tales that we see emerging on the web (Pride, Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith, for one), and in print (Politically Correct Bedtime Stories by James Finn Garner springs to mind). The ability for laypeople to easily create blogs and wikis will only contribute to this…. everything old will be new again 😉

2. mckay says:

Yes I remember the Nativity Story told using web 2.0 tools too. Ah, here it is! Worth a checkout if you haven’t seen it.