COMM 296 – 30/03/2013 – Reflective Post on the Marketing Plan Assignment

As I said in my previous post, bringing practice to theory is empowering and facilitates the learning process. Even if we won’t implement our recommendations to the marketing plan of Whole Foods Market, diving through research in their marketing strategy and trying to apply the tools learnt in class to a real concrete case was very interesting. Having a true interest in organic foods made it of course easier as well as an overall enjoyable academic experience.

From now on, all I learned in COMM 296 will probably take 3 different shapes: there will be first of all the Continue reading

COMM 296 – 26/03/2013 – My experience of “PUSH vs. PULL”

While learning; it is often more efficient to bring practice to theory. When these two elements are finally combined in harmony, one experiences a feeling of empowerment. 🙂 When we addressed in class the distinction between PUSH and PULL in promotional strategies; theory joined practice for me…  I’m now happy to share with you my experience of “PUSH vs. PULL”.

I have been a member of the French scout association Les Scouts et Guides de France since the age of 8 and I shall acknowledge the contribution of scouting in my childhood: I learned a lot and gained a lot of confidence. I have also tried to give back by becoming a scout leader and organizing nationally and internationally scout fora for young adults on the topics of Citizenship, Youth Participation to decision-making and Project Management. The 1st Inter-Regional Agora in April 2012 was one of them. It gathered in Switzerland during 5 days 43 participants from 26 countries.

Our target segment were Continue reading

COMM 296 – 09/03/2013 – Blog Response to Daniel Brum on Gamification

On the blog of the Canadian Marketing Association, Daniel Brum addressed on March 6th the development and benefits of Gamification as a tool for marketers wishing to reinforce the relationship between customers and brands.

Gamification as such has been around for a long time but the more recent development of smartphones and social media represents an opportunity for extension and gives to gamification a new potential. It involves interaction and participation as well as gaming mechanics, motivation and feedbacks. Typical gaming mechanics include Continue reading

COMM 296 – 23/02/2013 – “Musical Potties”

Let me have fun today by introducing to you the amazing “Musical Potties”… 🙂 Personal Fest is a notorious music festival happening every year in Buenos Aires, Argentina since 2004. It is a great success and it gathers tens of thousands of people every year. It is organized by the mobile phone company Personal. Everyone has a wonderful time during the entire festival except when they have to go to… the bathroom. The organizers of Personal Fest understood this sad and universal reality of festivals. Here is a 2 minutes long video showing you how they solved this issue:

Amazing isn’t it? There are costs involved of course but what I really like in this entire enterprise is their will to reach “perfection”; to Continue reading

COMM 296 – 06/02/2013 – Blog Response to Iris Zhou: Jours après Lunes

Since I addressed in my first post the ethical issue of marketing to children, I would like to continue on the same topic by responding to Iris Zhou’s post on Jours après Lunes’ unethical marketing approach. I would like to dive deeper in the analysis of this issue and remind first of all ourselves that “Jours après Lunes” is a lingerie line for young girls.

Iris mentions the fact that these ads featuring young girls in provocative and inviting poses may very much disturb and frighten the public. She also mentions, in a graver way, the Continue reading

COMM 296 – 18/01/2013 – Ethics, Marketing and the Issue of Advertising to Children

I study at the Sauder School of Business this year but I’ll graduate in Arts. The fact of the matter is that I’ve always had an interest for Business but I’ve also always been scared of having to take unethical decisions for the sake of profit maximization. This year, as an exchange student, I decided to broaden my views and challenge my bias. I have to admit that “Ethics” seem to be an educational priority in the syllabuses of Sauder: the issue exists, the issue is identified; … and some people try to solve it at its deeper roots; that is to say the Business Schools.

Every commerce student caring about Continue reading

COMM 101 – 17/11/2012 – Copyleft

COPYLEFT is a play on the word COPYRIGHT. It describes the use of copyright laws to offer the rights to reproduce, possibly adapt, and distribute copies or modified versions of a work. All modified and extended versions of the work have to be free (=libre) as well. This is why it is different from a mere uncopyrighted work belonging to the public domain where one uncooperative person can convert a version of the original work into a proprietary product. Finally, copyleft is a general concept that requires in its application the development of specific licenses adapted to the work.

The reason why I wish to address the concept of copyleft in this blog is because I personally strongly believe in the strengths of this idea. Even if it was initiated in the 1970s and well exploited in the domain of computer software; there is still a lot to do to unleash its full potential in the Business World. The beauty of copyleft is that the product copylefted can be accessible to anyone in a way that allows them to develop it, improve it and adapt it. It enhances freedom and creativity, community and sharing, collectively aiming at a better outcome. Cooperators are given the cake AND the recipe. I wish to conclude this blog with the dream that good ideas could finally benefit and be developed by everyone. I started my blog with Emmanuel Faber and Grameen Danone Foods Ltd. so I shall end with him as well: during his lecture he actually shared with us his enthusiasm regarding COPYLEFT. The models of factories Danone took time to develop for its social enterprises in Bangladesh and elsewhere are actually copylefted to foster the expansion of such projects and with it the improvement of humanity’s living conditions.

Yours, V.

Sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyleft

COMM 101 – 11/11/2012 – UrtheCast

Just like my classmate Elyssa Heng, “I really enjoyed Thursday’s COMM 101 class”. It was refreshing to gain insights from the entrepreneur Wade Larson, co-founder of UrtheCast. One of my take-away from this lecture was both the confidence and the acknowledgment of risks/uncertainty Wade Larson demonstrated: it was truly inspirational!

UrtheCast, if everything goes as planned, will be “launching the world’s first high-definition video platform on Earth streamed from space.” To do so, they will Continue reading

COMM 101 – 25/10/2012 – Shocking for Earnings

This post is a reaction to Anna Zhao’s post “Controversy as a Marketing Strategy?” In terms of Business Ethics, it is shocking to see where clothing can take us sometimes… Anna’s example of Urban Outfitters promoting through their designs under-age drinking, racism and other controversies, is shocking. Controversy does sadly seem to work as a marketing strategy. But does fashion need to be provocative as Anna says? I don’t think so. In my understanding, fashion walks and in hand with style and style is rather based on differentiation than provocation.

Back in August this year, an Indian Clothing Store named Hitler made lots of money thanks to the journalists. The young entrepreneur claimed that he did not know who Hitler truly was. Unbelievable! If you want to read more on this, you will find an article from the Huffington Post here.

I really don’t think that economic successful stories based on controversial contents should be advertized through media initially focusing on the controversy. As Anna reminds us, bad publicity is no publicity and every publicity is good publicity… Of course, there are some freedoms that shouldn’t be impaired; but couldn’t we find ways to stop the so-called unintentional advertizing of such controversial products? Couldn’t we find ways to end the production of such products at all? I’m sure there are already lawful ways to regulate these designs on clothes. After all, once being worn, they can be seen by people literally shocked (if not under-age…).

COMM 101 – 20/10/2012 – Sourcemap’s Revolution

Clément Mallet’s post “Sourcemap, Where things come from.” introduced me to a very interesting tool. Sourcemap is an online platform developed by Leonardo Bonanni from the MIT Media Lab. It is meant to map in an intuitive and design way supply chains and environmental footprints of products. It is also a social network of individuals and businesses willing to share, for the sake of transparency, information about how things are produced. A barcode technology has even been developed allowing smart-phones to scan sourcing information. In an article from the Boston Globe, Bonanni also announced his wish to extend information beyond carbon measures to water usage, toxic materials uses and releases, landscapes modifications (such as forests turned into farmland), and measures of worker quality of life. Wow!

As Clément pointed it out; since Sourcemap is a crowdsourced product, it faces the issue of inaccurate information. On the other hand, without using crowdsourcing, Sourcemap could never pretend to gather the amount of information it requires to develop into the revolutionary data base it ought to be. Through its signing-up procedure, Sourcemap has taken initiatives to reduce misinformation.

What I like most about Sourcemap is how it fulfills the needs of a growing share of responsible consumers and rides the wave of sustainability in an innovative way that empowers them. It creates incentives for businesses to develop towards a more social and eco-friendly way of producing and selling. It is also an interesting tool for enterprises to manage supply chains and strengthen direct relationships with customers. Who knows, we might see more successful Direct Business Model stories (à la Dell) develop thanks to Sourcemap?