Access to Information

Work with schools, Bronx reference center : college students...

Hi Everyone. I am Stephanie Myers and this is my sixth MET course. I work in alternate education and absolutely love it. Three years ago I opened an alternate school program in Burnaby, BC called the Burnaby Youth HUB which is growing in numbers each year. It is a pleasure to see students who the education system had given up on or who have given up on the education system out of frustration or personal issues return, on their own terms and discover the joy of learning. It’s a pretty awesome job (99% of the time) and I feel grateful that they trust me to share in their journeys with them.

Outside of work and school I love being active in the outdoors – running, cycling, surfing, etc. I love learning – particularly from others and their unique experiences. I think that is why oral culture is so appealing to me – there is just something about hearing someone tell their story, share their wisdom.

I chose the above image because it represents something that has been of growing interest and concern – the dissemination, storage, and access to information and how changes in technology are creating gains and losses in these areas (The O’Donnell audio really struck a chord with me, but I will get into that later).

I look forward to working and learning with all of you.

About smyers

Hi Everyone, I am a high school alternate school teacher living in Vancouver, BC. I have been teaching for 15 years, though I am not sure where all that time has gone. I love working with teenagers, and am grateful that I have the opportunity to share my love of learning with young people every day. It's a pretty sweet gig!
This entry was posted in Introductions and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Access to Information