Peer Tutor Spotlight – Jubi Lee

Photo source: Jubi Lee

Hi! My name is Jubi and I am a Biology major. I actually graduated last summer with a BSc in Biology and am currently back as a non-degree student taking special education courses full-time. Also, I grew up in Vancouver and cannot imagine being anywhere else but here!

This term I am peer tutoring for BIOL 201. This is my first term as a peer tutor and I am so grateful for the opportunity because it is truly an amazing experience.

What do you most enjoy about being a peer tutor? 

I love interacting with the students, whether it’s through Piazza, during office hours, or in class. I really enjoy being able to answer students’ questions and guide their understanding. It’s very rewarding when I am able to help students relieve their stress, or gain clarity on a concept for a course that I, myself, had worked very hard for.

What has being a peer tutor brought to your undergraduate experience? 

Being a peer tutor and part of the teaching team has definitely given me a new appreciation for instructors/professors. Our professors, Dr. Jetter, Dr. Chowrira, and Dr. Cheung, are so responsive and attentive to students’ concerns, it’s clear how much they care about the course and students’ learning. It’s been so inspiring to see our professors stay late after lectures to answer all the students’ questions until there are none.

What has been an interesting outcome of your peer tutoring experience? 

An interesting outcome has been that I have been learning just as much as I have been teaching. It’s not just about learning how to be a better peer tutor and how to help students better, but also the course itself! Before starting as a peer tutor, I thought I already had a solid grasp of our course’s materials. However, I have found myself learning new things and solidifying my understanding even deeper over time.

What do you like to do in your spare time? 

In recent years, I started working out at the gym and doing weights. I’ve been quite on and off as school gets busy but it’s been really fun to see my progress as I lift heavier and correct my form over time. It’s funny because I dread going but once I’m there I find myself enjoying it!

What is a fun fact about you that people may not know? 

Before covid, I went on a solo backpacking trip to Europe! I had never really traveled before this, so I was a bit nervous in the beginning, but now I can confidently say it was one of the best decisions of my life. I was gone for almost 2 months traveling to 11 different cities (London, Paris, Barcelona, Nice, Strasbourg, Nuremberg, Dresden, Prague, Venice, Rome, and Lucerne!).

What are your plans following graduation? 

During my time as a research assistant for the Canadian COVID-19 Emergency Department Rapid Response Network, I realized that I love Medicine and interacting with patients. So, I will be preparing for medical school applications when school ends in the hopes of becoming a family doctor.