Keeping up with the new

Old and new

Good Evening Everyone,

My name is Joy Penner and I am taking my fifth and sixth MET course. I’ve just returned from five years of teaching grade three in Beijing. I now have the luxury of focusing on finishing my degree this year and will also do some substituting. Initially I was interested in this program so I could upgrade both my skills and thinking about technology in order to help our small school grow in this area. As I have now moved back to Vancouver, I still have the same goal in terms of growing in my thinking, planning, and use of technology for teaching, but I have broadened my focus to include post-secondary, online education. I have the opportunity to help set up an online program for students living in China and am planning on gleaning as much as I can in the program to help me think through this venture. I have learned much already just by being a student in an online environment and look forward to gaining some more theoretical and technical expertise.

I chose this picture because in some ways it sums up my relationship with technology. I am definitely nowhere near the age of the person in the picture, however I did not grow up with computers, or even a type writer for that matter. I taught myself to type after high school and have continued to learn as new technology has developed. I enjoy exploring all kinds of technology and love the way it can be used to spark interest in learning for my students.

This entry was posted in Introductions. Bookmark the permalink.