Jennifer Schubert – Developing Relationships Through Varied Text

Hello there fellow METers! My name is Jen; I’m a crazy American who is currently in London attempting to find a home to stay in for this term. (Hence my delay in posting… I left the morning this class opened and have had spotty connection since!)

This is my 7th (or 8th, depending on how you look at it) MET course. (I am also enrolled in ETEC 522 this semester.) I started the MET program last September and have been enjoying my time here immensely! Outside of school, I am a Lego Engineering Instructor. (Yes, this is a real job, and yes, it is as amazing as it sounds.) I get to teach children engineering/physics concepts through play. We have a great time!

Other than school and work, most of my time is spent creating. Whether I am on stage, filming, shooting (both in front of and behind the camera), or editing, I am always most comfortable, productive, and happy when I have a creative project to work on. Last semester, I chose to focus research on fandom (a collective appreciation for a particular piece of media/performer represented by various forms of expression) and its possibilities in education. I am very proud of my work in this realm, especially since it is a personal passion of mine.

I have been able to meet, connect and develop both relationships and new media texts through my exploration of fandom. It is a truly fascinating social phenomenon with varied implications on the creation, and policing, of both existing and new media texts. I have included the picture above to represent a small branch of the fandom tree that has come under quite a bit of controversy in the world of copyright and free expression: fanfiction. Fanfiction is an area of expression that I have been narrowing a focus down to in my exploration of the educational benefits of fandom. I hope to continue my research with the goal of reaching reluctant writers and promoting the advancement and development of overall literacy.

This entry was posted in Introductions and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Jennifer Schubert – Developing Relationships Through Varied Text