Technology and Text: One in the Same?

Is Technology, Text?

Through the exploration of text and technology, it created a vision in my mind. I found the two concepts to be related and eventually came to the conclusion that “technology is text”.

Think about the tools we use to communicate.  Each tool requires the use of technology in some manner or another.  Whether we use chisel and stone, reed pen and papyrus, typewriter and paper, or a computer and keyboard, the inventions themselves have enabled us to create, share and save text.

I came upon this video while pondering the thought of “technology is text” and it all came to fruition. As the two people communicate and take pleasure in their day-to-day activities, technology helps them to create messages as well as enjoying and learning from other people’s work of “text”.  Technology brings people closer through text and helps us to learn and grow continually.  Although we may encounter loss in text as technology changes the presentation of it, it is all text just the same.  We gain and we loose, but we continue to evolve and find new ways to communicate.  This I know will be a constant.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/QyB_U9vn6Wk[/youtube]

This entry was posted in Technology, Text. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Technology and Text: One in the Same?

1. adi says:

Hi Sarah,
    Great post and video! Could it be that text is the technology, like in turn her hands become a technology when she signs she is d-e-a-f? This video depicts this beautifully.
    Thanks for sharing it.
    Adriana

2. troos says:

Sarah:

Loved the video. Shows the power of communication, no matter what type of “text’ is used. As I read it, you conclude that technology is text because whenever and however text is created, a technological tool is used. I’m wondering if the reverse is true as well. Is the text itself, the words/symbols/pictures used technology or is it just how they are made visible (ink, indentations, colour combinations) a technology. I guess what I am asking is, does technology go beyond the physical rendering of the text.

Tim