Connections

The best part about this course is the learning and sharing with classmates on their experiences and knowledge. I remember one story a classmate shared about a friend who is afraid her culture is disappearing and is actively trying to preserve it through writing a book. That story made me think about the rapid change that is happening in literacy. We are moving quickly toward the direction of making printed text obsolete and instead toward a completely digital age. What does this mean for the part of our heritage that is in print? The web keep us connected but at the same time creates specialized niches and interest groups. And what about for those who do not have regular access to the web. If digital literacy is what we want to educate then equal access and removing barriers to learning would be key. These are some questions and ideas I am interested in carrying forward in my studies in further courses.

This entry was posted in Making Connections. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Connections

1. jmah says:

Hi Cecilia,

It’s interesting how technology has been affecting culture and language. I also think that culture is being preserved through projects such as: Google’s Endangered Languages project http://www.endangeredlanguages.com/

The web is becoming an archive – where anyone with an interest can tap into the past.

-Jerry