Recent Posts

Topics

Meta

Link Me a Story

Children ask their parents or teachers to ‘tell me a story’. Storytelling is a part of our human nature. It is a “fundamental instrument of thought.” (Mark Turner as quoted in D. Pink, 2005, p. 101) In the age of digital stories, this often heard phrase may evolve to ‘link me a story’. The process of linking story to life and learning can bring meaning to both. Within this project, I investigate understandings of hypertext as it links to constructivist theory of learning.

In order for learning to become interiorized, meaning and understanding need to be constructed of process and product. Constructivist learning theory presents essential knowledge of how learning is constructed. This applies to reading and writing within a ‘secondary orality’, which Ong (1982) has labeled the digital culture. As with all writing, constructing stories “has to be personally interiorized to affect thinking processes” (Ong, 1982, p. 56) Applying constructivist strategies to learning to read and write within a hypertext ‘secondary oral culture’ will bring meaning to the process of interiorization.

Through learning the who, what, where, when, how, and most importantly, why, about linking in hypertext, for both fiction and non-fiction reading and writing, learners will interiorize and bring meaning to their own personal lives. Within this secondary oral culture, learners are “turned outward because we have turned inward”. (Ong, 1982, p. 134)

As I turn inward to bring understanding to terminology connected to the words hypertext and constructivism, I bring outward some underlying associations and interconnected links. Bringing this inner understanding to the outward application of my practice will interiorize my work as a teacher and learner.

Within this project, you will find hypertext links that I, the author, found meaningful. It is ultimately up to you, the reader, to determine your own meaning. That I cannot do for you.

Hypertext >