Experiential and Context Driven Learning

My limited background and experience with indigenous education, and education in general, makes it a little difficult to choose a topic this early in the semester, so I will pursue a tiny obsession of mine that we all refer to as ‘context’. The question of context, and its influence on how and what people learn, has been a mystery to me prior to getting involved in the MET program, and now that I am close to the finish line I would like to at least attempt to solve this mystery. I see contextual learning, as a form of experiential learning, which can further take the form of service learning, internships, study abroad programs, co-ops and practicums, and so forth. Putting learning into ‘context’ does not only strengthen but also ensures long lasting cognitive connections. The fascinating aspect (for me!) of experiential or contextual learning is the opportunity it allows for learners to interact with knowledge, a knowledge that (in my mind) transforms from a theoretical state to a practical, hands on and interactive one. In applying this concept to indigenous education I would like to answer some of the following questions throughout my research:

1. How does indigenous culture view the concept of ‘context’?
2. Do current indigenous education practices rely on methods that allow for experiential learning?
3. How does technology play a role in indigenous education and is it enough to compensate for the lack of context in education?
4. How do indigenous people learn and what learning methods are best suited in the process of knowledge transfer? Is context important?

There are probably better questions to ask, but I will figure out what they are along the way.

Below, is a list of the first five websites that will help me focus my research.

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.