Statement Connecting Weblog to Research Interests

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I have a keen interest in the aboriginal support system employed by my school district. Continuous within my district is the cultural vs academic support debate. There are those who would see aboriginal support workers provide mostly academic support with only the occasional opportunity for students to engage in cultural activities. On the other side of the spectrum some education community members believe that cultural enhancement is key to academic success and must be maintained and developed further. Who is correct? Is the best chance for success a more equal opportunity to both academic and cultural support? What does the research indicate?

If research and inquiry does provide some insight to the above questions, what next? And . . . how might technology benefit and/or hinder support? As with all of our posts and responses to date in ETEC 521, question after question presents itself.

As I embark upon this study, I can’t help but be grateful for the relationships that are developing within this cohort and within my own educational community that will help guide me. This week I am completing the Inquiry Grant Application provided by the BCTF (BC Teachers’ Federation). The purpose of securing the grant would be to involve others in an inquiry based learning opportunity similar to that outlined above.

1 comment

1 Jasmeet Virk { 09.26.11 at 7:45 pm }

Denise,
We seem to be looking at something very similar. At my school we do have advocates coming in for academic support and sometimes students will be pulled out at class time – this is arranged earlier. Right now there is storytelling happening. She is using Raven Tales. There is an elder from the Dene Nation who comes in at times to do storytelling as well or art. Arts and crafts are mainly lunch time activities. I was talking with her about doing games, songs, and dance.