Our Voices, Our Stories: First Nations, Métis and Inuit Stories

(http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/stories/index-e.html
)

Description:
I came across this link on the Saskatchewan Teachers Federation Website.  It is a link to the Library and Archives of Canada (government) website.  It is a collection of work, “celebrating stories from the oral tradition of the Inuit, Métis and First Nations peoples, from the past to the present.”

At first I was skeptical of this Canadian Government Website but I learned that members from the Inuit, Métis and First Nations communities participated in this project so I want to assume that the stories are authentic and not “stolen” or “misrepresented”.

The site serves proof that technology can be successfully used to store and share stories from Inuit, Métis and First Nations communities “bearing witness to the cultural diversity, living history and collective knowledge from which they came.”  The site also makes reference to the fact the stories on this site represent a very small portion of a vast cultural heritage.  This site is a way of continuing the rich history and tradition of storytelling and oral culture via a relatively new medium.

~ Ryan

There are no comments yet...

Kick things off by filling out the form below.